International applicants to UT Austin

ridgey

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from the department I applied to saying I was on a short list, there is limited funding, and do I have external funding. I assumed at the time that the same email went to all the people they were seriously considering. On the results page today, someone (from a different department) mentions that the reason they were rejected was because their department had no funding for international students.

Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumours - maybe schoolwide there is no money for internationals? I know it's near impossible to get into the UC system for that reason, but I had never heard of it being a problem for Texas. Anyone know anything?

I got an email yesterday from UCLA telling me how much they loved my application and my interview and also to clarify if I was International (which I am) and that I should know that out of state tuition costs would be higher and the extra costs would not be covered by Teaching Assistant prositions. I replied that I was aware and seeking alternate funding. Haven't heard back yet and am panicking that they might dismiss my application because of financial need even if they seemed to want me....