Funding at University of California???

phd2prof

I think some of us out there are receiving admissions offers at the UCs- in particular, my dream is UCLA. However, I am terrified of the funding offers due to the restrictions/budget. Is anyone hearing anything about funding for the PhD Education programs at the UC campuses?

phd2prof,

I got accepted to the Social Science and Comparative Education program at UCLA. The professor that called me said that there were 10 PhD students admitted and that each was receiving $10,000 guaranteed and that they were applying for more from the department. I don't know if this is typical of the UC programs right now--I was actually surprised that they offered as much as they did. I am still trying to find out about other aid options, assistantships, etc.

My UC guarantees all admitted students funding for two or three years (usually three), but I think the plan is to fully fund for four or five years (although there are no guarantees for this). The funding opportunities are there, and once you proceed to candidacy, there is also a lot of outside funding available. It isn't as good as the schools who offer five years solid funding, but I feel pretty comfortable.

The funding comes as either a fellowship, TA or GSR (Graduate Student Researcher). All cover tuition and then a stipend (1700-1900 a month where I am). Summer funding is also available.