2010 MFA Painting/Drawing/Printmaking Admission Notifications

alizarin

I know some people on here have gotten acceptance letters. I called saic a while ago and they said they sent out their last letters on 3/18. If you are in China, it might take a few extra days to get to you.

You mean SAIC send acceptance letters not via E-mail, but the directly letters to students ?

i'm into cca too. have you heard anything about funding?

do you think you're going to go? --and if so, why?

i love the bay area, though i'm not convinced that cca's program is all that strong after visiting...

Nope nothing about funding yet. At this point Im pretty into going but I have yet to visit CCA or Madison. I guess I kind of reall like the idea of being in a more metropolitan center and I like SF aloit. I like CCA (from what I can tell) because they seem very open to students employing whatever medium they choose. I dont like feeling like I have to only paint or be careful about keeping a painting language if you will.

What made you feel it wasnt very strong?

You mean SAIC send acceptance letters not via E-mail, but the directly letters to students ?

That's right Lisa --- I got an SAIC painting accept on Saturday (3/21) in the mail. I had even gotten antsy and emailed admissions earlier in the week to try to get an answer. Stonewalled. Snail mail only. Good luck to you.

My Results:

Rejected: Hunter & Tyler

Interview: Yale

Accepted: Slade & New Paltz

waiting: Columbia, RISD :(

Slade vs. New Paltz / Slade is so expensive w/ no $ and the studio space isn't terribly desirable (everyone is in a large room next to each other. ) But the faculty is great and they provide wonderful resources. New Paltz is cheap and you get your own studio space but I'm not sure if their program is strong? What would you do? Does anyone know about the SUNY New Paltz MFA in Painting?

Nope nothing about funding yet. At this point Im pretty into going but I have yet to visit CCA or Madison. I guess I kind of reall like the idea of being in a more metropolitan center and I like SF aloit. I like CCA (from what I can tell) because they seem very open to students employing whatever medium they choose. I dont like feeling like I have to only paint or be careful about keeping a painting language if you will.

What made you feel it wasnt very strong?

maybe i shouldn't have said that about cca, especially as it may well wind up being the best program i've been accepted to!--but it just felt to me that the quality of work i saw around wasn't quite as high as some of the other places i visited. the students seemed younger--and so did their work. and it just felt like there were maybe too many students, like they were just cranking them out, rather than really developing a smaller bunch. that said though, cca is very open and loose and you can get in for painting and spend two years making video if you want. plus the bay area is great, and oakland is cheap for living and gets a lot more sunshine than madison...

if funding were the same either way, i'd recommend going to school in a place that you'd like to see yourself staying for a while, after school. most people will wind up sticking around because that's where you'll be dug in and already connected, most likely to get a job, get a show, etc.

good luck.

That's right Lisa --- I got an SAIC painting accept on Saturday (3/21) in the mail. I had even gotten antsy and emailed admissions earlier in the week to try to get an answer. Stonewalled. Snail mail only. Good luck to you.

Thanks and congratulations ! I haven't gotten rejection from SAIC right now. I hope I have chance to be accepted. Have you already make decision to study there?

Thanks and congratulations ! I haven't gotten rejection from SAIC right now. I hope I have chance to be accepted. Have you already make decision to study there?

I am still hearing back from a couple of other programs, but it would be hard to turn down SAIC no matter what. I've been there a couple of times and I have a great impression of the school.

Its nice to hear from someone that applied to some of the same schools as me. This is me so far:

UTexas, Arlington- Accepted

UFlorida- Rejected

UTexas, San Antonio- No word

LSU- Waitlisted

I wish I knew the chances of getting off of a waiting list because the the wait is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any info please share . But can I ask you how and when did you hear back from LSU? I applied for an MFA in Graphic Design and I was told I was waitlisted on March 9th and that I should hear back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

I heard back from LSU a couple of weeks ago, maybe the first week of March or second week. I got a short letter in the mail and that was it.

I really want to know my chances on the wait list but at the same time, I'm trying not to bother them. It's been weeks since I found out anything at all.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Don't worry, for Yale they aren't doing their final crit with the full faculty until Monday. So we won't be hearing from them until Monday at the earliest. It's been a really long weekend, but surprisingly, I've come to a real peace about it. As much as Ive fallen in love with Yale and would love to go in a heartbeat, if I don't make it in i'll be happy with one of the other schools I was accepted to. Whatever was meant to be, will be, I guess. And I don't have any regrets with the outcome of anything that's happened in my life so I'm totally fine with whatever the outcome will be for this. What day did you go to interview? Maybe we crossed paths at one point?

interviewd at yale and risd (painting), but haven't heard a thing back yet.

anybody, anybody?

going nuts all about it.

Don't worry, for Yale they aren't doing their final crit with the full faculty until Monday. So we won't be hearing from them until Monday at the earliest. It's been a really long weekend, but surprisingly, I've come to a real peace about it. As much as Ive fallen in love with Yale and would love to go in a heartbeat, if I don't make it in i'll be happy with one of the other schools I was accepted to. Whatever was meant to be, will be, I guess. And I don't have any regrets with the outcome of anything that's happened in my life so I'm totally fine with whatever the outcome will be for this. What day did you go to interview? Maybe we crossed paths at one point?

don't think we crossed paths as i interviewed early. was on the east coast heading west when we got the invitation to interview, and they let me come in right after that as i was leaving the area.

if yale and risd don't come in for me, i'm looking at a choice between cca and upenn. you?

I also cant stop thinking about Yale! I interviewed last tuesday (3/23), I think it went well, they gave me really positive feedback but my weak point is that im still in school. If I dont get in im going to UPenn for sure.

congrats and good luck with risd and yale! if it doesnt work out for me, im pretty sure im going to unc...they have the best work facilities and studio space that i've seen at any of the campuses i visited (besides yale) so i'm pretty set on them. hopefully, yale works out though :) either way, i'm excited to be moving to the east coast this fall though! i've never lived outside of california so this is definitely a new experience for me!

don't think we crossed paths as i interviewed early. was on the east coast heading west when we got the invitation to interview, and they let me come in right after that as i was leaving the area.

if yale and risd don't come in for me, i'm looking at a choice between cca and upenn. you?

that's awesome that you got such positive feedback! did they talk about your pieces in general or how did your interview work? for mine, they mainly asked questions. they themselves didn't really give me feedback on my pieces. it was mainly me doing the talking.

I also cant stop thinking about Yale! I interviewed last tuesday (3/23), I think it went well, they gave me really positive feedback but my weak point is that im still in school. If I dont get in im going to UPenn for sure.

I heard back from LSU a couple of weeks ago, maybe the first week of March or second week. I got a short letter in the mail and that was it.

I really want to know my chances on the wait list but at the same time, I'm trying not to bother them. It's been weeks since I found out anything at all.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks!! Although I'm holding out on LSU as it is my first choice. UT San Antonio told me they were still working on the paper work and would be forwarding the final decisions to the graduate school within the next week or so. Good luck and I hope you hear something soon!

that's awesome that you got such positive feedback! did they talk about your pieces in general or how did your interview work? for mine, they mainly asked questions. they themselves didn't really give me feedback on my pieces. it was mainly me doing the talking.

thanks! my interview was with Rochelle and Daniel Boshkov (sp?). It was all questions about my work at first, but then Rochelle looked at me and said-

"I have a rule that when I interview students I never go into critique, but I have to break that today, I think your working from good models and whether you come here or not you've got the chops."

then she talked about my use of the figure in two of paintings and she told me she really likes how I paint feet.

We did have a conversation about my age though (im 21) which I new was going to come up, so i prepared answers.

Then the student interview was really relaxed, the girls interviewing me barely asked me any questions, they just had me talk about every piece in my portfolio.

I cannot deal with this waiting though, we could find out as early as tommorow and the anticipation is killing me, I woke up with 3 new pimples today...

haha it's true, this whole process really is taking a toll on me physically, too...i'm breaking out and i'm pretty sure all my hair is falling out, i've been finding big clumps of it everywhere...probably TMI haha

anyways, good luck with everything! that's so awesome that you got a mini crit...i'm jealous, i wish they had given me one at my interview! do you have a website or something? i'd love to see your work! i love the figure and everything about it and how it associates with the environment around it, so i'd be really interested to see how youre handling it, too. it's always been what drew me to art in the first place.

thanks! my interview was with Rochelle and Daniel Boshkov (sp?). It was all questions about my work at first, but then Rochelle looked at me and said-

"I have a rule that when I interview students I never go into critique, but I have to break that today, I think your working from good models and whether you come here or not you've got the chops."

then she talked about my use of the figure in two of paintings and she told me she really likes how I paint feet.

We did have a conversation about my age though (im 21) which I new was going to come up, so i prepared answers.

Then the student interview was really relaxed, the girls interviewing me barely asked me any questions, they just had me talk about every piece in my portfolio.

I cannot deal with this waiting though, we could find out as early as tommorow and the anticipation is killing me, I woke up with 3 new pimples today...

I just got an e-mail from yale telling me to check my online application.

I got accepted for painting/printmaking!!!!!!!! im going there!

Hello!

Congratulations on your acceptance!! If you have time, I was wondering if you might be able to spare me some advice?

I have been thinking about applying to for an MFA Printmaking program for Fall 2011. I graduated in May 2009 from University of Illinois with a BFA in painting. The past year I've been in and out of art, just doing small things. But I feel like I've really gained some direction in art in the past few months and am interested in pursuing a grad degree in printmaking! I feel like it's a good time for me to start working on my portfolio for it.

As a painting major, without much experience in printmaking (just a few classes in undergrad), how do you think I should proceed in working on my portfolio? I feel that I am pretty strong in painting and drawing, should I make that the bulk of my portfolio or pursue learning printmaking as best as I can? Do you think that a painting major has a decent shot at getting accepted in printmaking programs?

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions! If you have the time I would greatly appreciate any advice that you have from your experience in applying for grad schools.

Congrats again!

Hello!

Congratulations on your acceptance!! If you have time, I was wondering if you might be able to spare me some advice?

I have been thinking about applying to for an MFA Printmaking program for Fall 2011. I graduated in May 2009 from University of Illinois with a BFA in painting. The past year I've been in and out of art, just doing small things. But I feel like I've really gained some direction in art in the past few months and am interested in pursuing a grad degree in printmaking! I feel like it's a good time for me to start working on my portfolio for it.

As a painting major, without much experience in printmaking (just a few classes in undergrad), how do you think I should proceed in working on my portfolio? I feel that I am pretty strong in painting and drawing, should I make that the bulk of my portfolio or pursue learning printmaking as best as I can? Do you think that a painting major has a decent shot at getting accepted in printmaking programs?

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions! If you have the time I would greatly appreciate any advice that you have from your experience in applying for grad schools.

Congrats again!

with a few notable exceptions- a lot of programs you will find are "2d fine arts" mfas (like yale or massart...) , or in the case of columbia they dont even have "genres" you apply to. most places see printmaking as something tied to painting and drawing (with, notable exceptions) and some printmaking programs will be very geared towards book arts.

so you need to find the program thats right for you//your portfolio =)

with a few notable exceptions- a lot of programs you will find are "2d fine arts" mfas (like yale or massart...) , or in the case of columbia they dont even have "genres" you apply to. most places see printmaking as something tied to painting and drawing (with, notable exceptions) and some printmaking programs will be very geared towards book arts.

so you need to find the program thats right for you//your portfolio =)

Thank you for the advice! I'll continue on the search :)

(seemingly) final results:

yale: interview, rejected

saic: interview, rejected

risd: interview, (haven't heard back, assuming rejected)

--must be doing something wrong in these interviews...

ucsd, cornell, usc--simply rejected

cca: accepted, with some funding

penndesign: accepted, with some funding

all torn up and on the fence about it. east coast/west coast, major university versus pure art school. anybody with any thoughts or ideas about it, i'm all ears. thanks.

(seemingly) final results:

yale: interview, rejected

saic: interview, rejected

risd: interview, (haven't heard back, assuming rejected)

--must be doing something wrong in these interviews...

ucsd, cornell, usc--simply rejected

cca: accepted, with some funding

penndesign: accepted, with some funding

all torn up and on the fence about it. east coast/west coast, major university versus pure art school. anybody with any thoughts or ideas about it, i'm all ears. thanks.

I would totally choose penn design over cca. The faculty seems really nice and there are some really great opportunities there to teach. Also, im right under NYC and the amount of things going on there is amazing. Philly also has a growing art scene and the city is really nice. thats my 2 cents, good luck!