U.T. Austin

Did anyone else here apply there? I noticed the rejection posted on the results page and was wondering if anyone else had heard anything. I'm guessing if rejections are being sent out, not hearing anything right now is a good thing, right?

I also applied, also haven't heard from them. Last time I applied I was waitlisted, and that was March 7...it's a school that really does things in rounds. I WANT to be encouraged by the fact that there's a rejection up and I haven't recieved one, but they really seem to do things in pieces - a few rejections and acceptances now, a few more a week later, a few more a week after that, etc. So while it's definitely not a bad thing, it's not necessarily good news yet either, especially when it's just one little rejection.

I'm the lone reject! And I would definitely be emboldened that you haven't received an email. In the past they've dispensed with the rejects first and then moved on to the admits and the wait-listers (the opposite of most universities, but Texas is its own animal). Of course there is the possibility that my application package was so poor that they felt they had to get it out of the room before it contaminated the others! Actually, I received my undergraduate degree from UT-Austin, and though I completed an MA elsewhere, I think they might still be reluctant to admit those of us who did our undergraduate work there to a second degree plan. That might explain my seemingly premature notification (at least I hope!).

Also, the email was boilerplate and suggested that they received applications from over 300 "qualified applicants," and will be offering 20 positions. After lowering that number to around 299 applicants with my dismissal, I'd say you guys still have a good chance. Good luck to you all...and Hook 'Em! I'm lifelong burnt orange even if they don't want me anymore!

I'm the lone reject! And I would definitely be emboldened that you haven't received an email. In the past they've dispensed with the rejects first and then moved on to the admits and the wait-listers (the opposite of most universities, but Texas is its own animal). Of course there is the possibility that my application package was so poor that they felt they had to get it out of the room before it contaminated the others! Actually, I received my undergraduate degree from UT-Austin, and though I completed an MA elsewhere, I think they might still be reluctant to admit those of us who did our undergraduate work there to a second degree plan. That might explain my seemingly premature notification (at least I hope!).

Also, the email was boilerplate and suggested that they received applications from over 300 "qualified applicants," and will be offering 20 positions. After lowering that number to around 299 applicants with my dismissal, I'd say you guys still have a good chance. Good luck to you all...and Hook 'Em! I'm lifelong burnt orange even if they don't want me anymore!

Hi Shaky---I also did my undergrad at UT (graduated 08) and was told flatout during undergrad that they rarely take their own undergrads, and if they do, they have to be working in a vastly different field than they focused upon in undergrad. When did you graduate from UT?

Hi Shaky---I also did my undergrad at UT (graduated 08) and was told flatout during undergrad that they rarely take their own undergrads, and if they do, they have to be working in a vastly different field than they focused upon in undergrad. When did you graduate from UT?

Yeah, I contacted the grad secretary before I applied and was given an incredibly ambiguous answer about my chances of getting in as a Texas-Ex ("We encourage our undergraduates to do their graduate work elsewhere...but we'll take your application fee!"). But I absolutely love Austin and thought the program was a good fit for me, so I gave it a shot. And I'm an old-timer; I got my undergrad degree at UT way back in 2003, and my major was in a completely different field than English. I thought the extended absence and the intervening focus-change and degree might give me a better chance of getting in, but it was not to be!

I'm from the Austin area, but I did my undergrad at Texas Tech. I just recently finished a Master's at Oxford, so I'm hoping that the committee's positive perception of Oxford's academics will outweigh their negative perception of TTU's. ;)

I'm hoping that the other schools to which I applied, mostly schools in the northeast, will overlook TTU's disrepute as well.

Edited by crutch

Sorry to hear about your rejection, Shaky. I hope you get into one of your other choices. Good luck to the other 299 of us still waiting :) If last year was any indication, the first round of acceptances should be tomorrow.

R

Sorry to hear about your rejection, Shaky. I hope you get into one of your other choices. Good luck to the other 299 of us still waiting :)If last year was any indication, the first round of acceptances should be tomorrow.

R

I might have to check my status page every two minutes tomorrow, as opposed to every three and a half. :P

• 2 weeks later...