How to Word Email Declining Offer?

SuddenlyParanoid

I've made some preliminary cuts of programs and need to know how to word my emails to them. For the form letters it's easy to respond to, but how do I write back to individual professors who have contacted me and say I'm not picking their school?

I want to let them know as soon as possible but I don't want to hurt their feelings or burn bridges for the future?

Congratulations on your many acceptances! What an achievement!

It is important to inform your POCs soon to allow other waitlisted candidates the opportunity to attend. You should contact the POCs in the manner in which they communicated with you (ie. phone, email, etc.). You will want to be grateful, polite and brief. It is not necessary to explain why you are declining, but depending on the relationship you have with that POC or the relationship your LOR writers have with that POC you may wish to be a little more detailed in your response.

I intend to write an email thanking my POC, briefly explaining that I will not be attending (but not why) and emphasizing my interest to maintain contact with the POC in the future. We are working in the same field and are working toward the same goals in a way after all.

Good luck with the remainder of your applications!