UCSD 2010

tskinner

Hey fellow UCSD admits!

I just thought we should have a place to come together, chat, and introduce ourselves before we meet down at the open house.

My name is Taylor, and my main field is IR. Right now I'm interested in all things conflict, but I'm most interested in conflict termination (though I'm sure that's going to change a lot). I'm coming straight out of undergrad having taken only two political science courses (Intro. and International), so I'm kind of nervous of making an idiot of myself and having to play catch-up. :huh: I mostly studied Econ, but found the field too dry and realized my passion for PoliSci a bit late during a guest lecture in my Economic Development class.

I study right now in Northern California (Stockton), but I'm originally from down south in Ventura County (about 2.5 hrs north of San Diego). I'm excited to come back to the best weather in the country! :lol: My boyfriend of 5 years is going to try to get transfered down there as soon as he can, and I'm curious if there's any other couples/families moving together.

:D

I'm Alex, and I'm a "fourth-year" at UVA. I'm from western New York, so should I end up in San Diego, the weather will certainly be a nice change.

I'm a theorist, and my primary interests are in Continental political thought, especially Nietzsche and Heidegger; Tracy Strong is the principal reason I applied to UCSD, since he's published a lot on the former.

This is the only school from which I've received an offer so far. While it'd be nice to have another acceptance (I'm mainly looking forward to hearing back from Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, and UCLA), UCSD has great people and is in a great place, so I'll consider it pretty strongly if I'm admitted elsewhere.

This thread is a cool idea. I look forward to meeting you, Taylor, and anyone else who decides to post in March.

Is anyone else getting slightly irked by the student liaisons' emphasis on beaches and palm trees? I mean, we are talking about UCS frickin' D here. There are better selling points than that. A lot better. Leave the palm tree argument to some random Florida school.

Is anyone else getting slightly irked by the student liaisons' emphasis on beaches and palm trees? I mean, we are talking about UCS frickin' D here. There are better selling points than that. A lot better. Leave the palm tree argument to some random Florida school.

honestly though - the beach is a huge selling point for ucsd. i have some friends in grad school there now, and they are serious students and everything, but are absolutely loving the weather and beach related aspects of their stay in SD, which is a tremendously nice place.

Are people aware that Poole (to Georgia), Cox (to Stanford), and McCubbins (to USC) are all leaving UCSD after this year? If not, thought it would be an important piece of info. to share.

NOT ONLY IS UCSD LOSING THREE OF THEIR TOP PROFESSORS, THEY CANNOT GUARANTEE FUNDING FOR ALL THEIR ADMITS, AND THEIR UNTENURED PROFESSORS MIGHT BE GOING ELSEWHERE AS WELL.

If those professors are leaving, it will be quite a loss for the department, but luckily none of them are listed under the IR faculty (none of them even list it as a sub-sub field). I'm much more worried about funding, but I'm trying to stay optimistic here.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten more information on funding yet? I know the email from Dr. Broz said it would be on or before March 1, but I was hoping it would come before this weekend. They're not making my decision as to whether or not to come to Open House any easier.

I have not yet received funding info in the mail, and I live in Greater San Diego. (Technically, I think the place I live is officially considered the armpit of San Diego, where those beaches and palm trees are so close, but so, so very far away.) I'll let you all know if I get something tomorrow so that you can expect it for Saturday (or not, depending on where you live). I too have been anticipating it since it's the one of my three prospective programs for which I don't have any kind of idea about funding.

Edited by DJ_CA

Has anyone gotten more information on funding yet? I know the email from Dr. Broz said it would be on or before March 1, but I was hoping it would come before this weekend. They're not making my decision as to whether or not to come to Open House any easier.

OSU has likely yet to give you funding information either, if I remember correctly from last year's cycle. Why would not having your funding information right now make you less likely to attend a paid visit?

OSU has likely yet to give you funding information either, if I remember correctly from last year's cycle. Why would not having your funding information right now make you less likely to attend a paid visit?

You're right, OSU hasn't given me that info. But I did talk to the DGS and she said funding was pretty much assured; they just have to wait for results of the fellowship competition to come in before committing.

As for UCSD, just the way they've handled it is a bit disconcerting. They seem to be pushing us to come visit without giving any details, which worries me. I don't want to commit time and energy to a cross-country trip if funding might not be guaranteed or their offer isn't reasonable. I know it's not completely rational because they'll pay for my stay, but I'd rather not waste my time (and possibly make other more useful visits) if I know I won't be attending.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Nothing came for me from UCSD today, so I'm expecting something tomorrow if they're going to meet the March 1 date they set for themselves for getting funding info to all of you outside of this general area. So unless they FedEx overnighted it to everyone today (which seems unlikely, given the California state budget), or unless they are not, in fact, going to get stuff to everyone by March 1, expect to receive the package on Monday.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Told you all not to worry. :) Fromark, I hope this means that we will see you at the open house.

I was actually shocked by the school's generosity (I just got the email). They make things seem dire on the website, but they ended up offering me more than any other school I was accepted at!

Edited by polisciFTW

Everyone is over $20k, no? UCSD cut down on their number of acceptances this year to ensure that they could fund everyone competitively.

Which I hope is an indication that they're trying to take serious steps to maintain their reputation.