History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

I thought I would make a pre-emptive strike against the Philistines who would place history in the social sciences. This year, we are decidedly in the humanities, heathens!

Anyhoo, who else is applying, and to where, and in what field, and I really have to add another "and" to manage a perfectly balanced polysyndeton. (Nevermind me - applications on the brain.)

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am applying British History and the Empire to Princeton, Yale, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Harvard, and NYU. I have all but two applications submitted. What I don't understand is why the application deadlines begin on Dec. 1st but it takes the departments until late February/early March to respond.

Aiming low, I see. lol

I might see you at one of those fine institutions. Then again, I also shuffled in a couple of middle of the road schools, for safety's sake. I could only stomach six applications this time around. I think I burned out during the MA app process, two years ago.

It seems some programs wait until the truly neurotic members of the community have either exposed themselves as the freakshows that they are by calling the department every day beginning January 1st, or have up and offed themselves out of desperation. It's academic Darwinism at its finest.

• 1 month later...

It's such a crap shoot, who knows. Last time, I got rejected to all of my backup schools, got in at half of my "good" programs, and got an acceptance w/o funding to a shot-in-the-dark dreamschool. The only sense I could make of it was that I was a better fit for my potential advisors' research interests, or that I caught them on a friday instead of a monday.

More of the same this year, I'm sure.

iacta alea est

After many years of thought, work and pain, it comes down to this, the waiting it killing me. On top of the stress of waiting, I am supposed to finish writing and defend a thesis! Got to love grad school. Anyway, my field is Gilded Age and Progressive Era American Culture and Technology (nothing like a super specific field right?). I applied to Montana State, Northwestern, Michigan State, Texas, Maryland, UNC and WUSTL. Can't wait to hear.

El Deano (the Hubster) and I have two cats: Darwin (after Charles) is our 2 year old female cat and Emerson (after Ralph Waldo) is our 3 month old male. We recently rescued Emerson because Darwin was lonely (yes, I said it, the vet recommended another cat because The Win was having psychological issues) and eating plastic. The minute the kitten arrived, she did a 180.

Amazing.

They rule.

Mine just had surgery to take out a tumor. Hopefully he'll stick around for a few more years, now. He's certainly got his appetite back: MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!

Hrmm... I'm debating whether to work on my thesis, or click refresh on the online application sites until my girlfriend gets here (uh, in 6 hours from now). I'm going friggin' nuts, but at least she taunts me mercilessly until I get off the damned computer and take my mind off of applications for a while.

We'll see the worm turn when she has all of her apps in!

What are we doing tonight, Brain?

I have the luxury (erm... heh) of having put in apps in a couple of programs, so I can whine with various groups of people in the humanities. Lucky me, eh! Anyway, I would love to start getting some early acceptances, no matter which discipline they are for. Just knowing I'm in *somewhere* would cut my worries in half.

Nice to see history people on this website! Although, after reading some people's posts, I feel nervous that I only applied to five schools (three of them are programs I probably won't get into, and two are more realistic - a.k.a. my safety schools)! I'll probably stay in Canada for next year or two. It will be interesting to see if any international students are applying to Canadian schools for history.

So, how is everyone holding up? I'm applying for African at NYU, Columbia, Harvard, WUSTL, Brown, BC, and BU. The waiting is terrible. I can't wait to see the first acceptance, just to know things are moving, that this limbo is limited. Maybe we'll start hearing late this week/early next? Here's to hoping.

This is a bit late, but I am applying to Russian history programs at Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kansas, and Toronto. Good luck to everyone! I know for a fact that within two weeks I will hear from one of my schools. The suspense in killing me :)

I specialize in post-Roman and early medieval Britain, with a particular interest in the language, legend and literature of the Celtic fringe -- which is why i applied to the University of Texas, it makes perfect sense, right?

theres a method to the madness, i promise.

Hey there,

So I checked the results page, and someone listed that they received an acceptance letter from Illinois-Urbana. The lady who emailed me said they were only meeting February 2nd to make decisions......I am thinking I didn't get in, if they already dated letters and someone received one.....the stress is killing me! By the way, if the person who got accepted is reading this.. Congratulations on your admission! :D