News on Master programs

Kathryn

Seeing as we already have a topic for PhD programs, I thought I'd start this topic for those only applying to master's programs at this time. So far, I've got 4 acceptances- Kent State University, Bowling Green State University, Miami University, and University of Tennessee. Only one rejection from University of Vermont, but they normally don't accept Vermonters.

Hi Kathryn, seems great this topic for me... I'm applying for Msc in Applied Mathematics and so far no rejections, and hopefully expect not to get one (not likely though)... so far, I've been accepted at University of Washington, and still waiting on the others (Oregon State University, NYU and Harvard SEAS)... I'm also applying to Miami, but in this case, I'm applying to the marine sciences program... I believe this is my safe choice, and concerning the others, maybe OSU seem posibly too, but hopefully I'll get admitted to NYU... best of luck!

<br />Seeing as we already have a topic for PhD programs, I thought I'd start this topic for those only applying to master's programs at this time. So far, I've got 4 acceptances- Kent State University, Bowling Green State University, Miami University, and University of Tennessee. Only one rejection from University of Vermont, but they normally don't accept Vermonters.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi,

Kathryn,

First, congratulation to you, how nice to be accepted so quickly.

I also apply to Ohio University.

Did you receive any information from Ohio Univ.?

the secretary said once she receive my application from admission office, and she will send email to inform me.

However, I had not heard any update news yet.

And you?

Thank you

<br /><br /><br />

Hi,

Kathryn,

First, congratulation to you, how nice to be accepted so quickly.

I also apply to Ohio University.

Did you receive any information from Ohio Univ.?

the secretary said once she receive my application from admission office, and she will send email to inform me.

However, I had not heard any update news yet.

And you?

Thank you

I have not heard any news on Ohio University as far as being accepted or rejected yet. Earlier I had called all my schools to make sure that they had my application and all materials as far as transcripts, letters, etc had been received. Ohio University transferred me over to the math department and the secretary checked and she had everything. I would suggest calling to make sure they have everything of yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just keeping this thread alive as a Math/applied/stat Masters applicant. There are hardly any posted results for masters programs. It seems like they tend to come after the PhD results.

I do have two acceptances so far, but I think a pretty strong application, and the better schools (NYU and Columbia) are holding out on results so far.

Are most of you out there relying on TA/RA and tuition waivers for a Masters Degree, or are you willing to pay, and then go work in industry? Curious, as I have recently read a report on the increase in professional level masters degrees, which has been strongest in IT and biotech, but across the board for the sciences to a lesser extent.

Also, any ideas about returning for a PhD a few years after completing the Masters? I would be working in the field, and probably be able to maintain some contacts in academia, but am interested to hear some ideas on how this might work given the perspective of a masters degree as a consolation prize for PhD students.

I'm just keeping this thread alive as a Math/applied/stat Masters applicant. There are hardly any posted results for masters programs. It seems like they tend to come after the PhD results.

I do have two acceptances so far, but I think a pretty strong application, and the better schools (NYU and Columbia) are holding out on results so far.

Are most of you out there relying on TA/RA and tuition waivers for a Masters Degree, or are you willing to pay, and then go work in industry? Curious, as I have recently read a report on the increase in professional level masters degrees, which has been strongest in IT and biotech, but across the board for the sciences to a lesser extent.

Also, any ideas about returning for a PhD a few years after completing the Masters? I would be working in the field, and probably be able to maintain some contacts in academia, but am interested to hear some ideas on how this might work given the perspective of a masters degree as a consolation prize for PhD students.

I am definitely relying on getting a TA. I know I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. If I didn't get a TA, I would probably go move to one of the schools that I got accepted to and work for a year and defer going there till the next year until I earned some money.

Anyone know when money is usually offered? One school told me late March. Is that normal?

While I do want to eventually go for a PhD, I want to see how much I like master's level work before committing to a PhD. I do want to be a math professor, so a PhD is needed, but if I only went for my master's I think I could go work as an instructor with just a master's.

I've been out of town for almost a couple weeks, but my wife called to let me know there was a fedex envelope for me from Columbia. I figured it was an acceptance...no sense in sending a rejection letter via fedex. And it was an acceptance--amazing. She even joked that the handwriting looked like mine, and naturally I told her it was smart person handwriting tongue.gif The bad part is I already accepted with RPI (but I suppose I could still decline), and have begun to really like the offering at RPI, but it is a lot to give up...the reputation of Columbia. And I am still waiting a response from NYU. This is kinda crazy...applied to four places, and on my way to being accepted at all four. Strange that a rejection would make the decision so much easier. Ugh.

well...first of all... congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia appmatharmy! It is truly a life-changing and possibly a once-in-a-lifetime decision so indeed a difficult one... I'm also waiting (still) to hear back from NYU math myself... but in the worse case-scenario I'll go to UW and then apply to the PhD program "Atmosphere Ocean sciences and Math" (within Courant) in 2 years... In response to your comment, I'm somehow pending in RA and/or Tuition Waiver (which in NYU i think the support is null at least to MS grad students), but also have the support of both Fulbright and home-country government funding... Best of luck to all!

Has anyone heard from University of Michigan, or U of Chicago? I have not heard the results on their masters stat program.

Also a note on Columbia, do they have a rolling admission? They claim that they don't, but I have heard people getting admitted throughout the year. How does that affect your chance of getting in? Does the later application means less chance and less funding?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from University of Michigan, or U of Chicago? I have not heard the results on their masters stat program.

Also a note on Columbia, do they have a rolling admission? They claim that they don't, but I have heard people getting admitted throughout the year. How does that affect your chance of getting in? Does the later application means less chance and less funding?

I contacted Columbia and they do have rolling admissions for their MA in statistics program, and as for University of Chicago its looking like a bloodbath this year according to the results board, there are so many rejections, i checked the previous years and it wasnt that bad. Im wondering if this year was a special case. Anyone who got in can they post their stats