Film and Media Studies Application Cycle 2009-2010

Film_Freak

Hey all,

I'm applying to a few different media/film/cinema studies programs with a focus on theory. I wanted to see if we could get a thread going for people to exchange information about decisions, status, ect.

My school list

University of Texas Austin M.A.-pending

UC Berkeley Ph.d-Rejected

UCLA M.A.-pending

USC M.A.-pending

University of Chicago Ph.d-pending

Emory University M.A.-pending

Harvard University Ph.d-pending

Feel free to post any information or questions!

Thanks for starting the post. There are a couple of other threads about film studies somewhere so check those out too while you're at it.

So far I have 4 official rejections from:

UCSB

USC

Rochester

Berkeley

I know others have been invited for interviews or accepted to:

Northwestern

Irvine

Indiana

Wisconsin

Chicago

Iowa

UT Austin

I've heard nothing official from the above mentioned schools.

This leaves the following schools up in the air:

Harvard

Brown

UCLA

Michigan

So I'm 0/15 with 11 more to go. It's tough out there. I'm scared becasue this is my third year applying. I was rejected across the board twice. I think I gotta move on to other stuff now...

I'm paranoid I'll get rejected from UC Irvine because one time someone was here asking me about it and I admited it was only a "safety" school. I'm paranoid that person was an adcom posing as a gradcafe junkie.

For sure, I'll be sure to check around this forum.....there isn't really a centralized place for us!

As your third time applying....what do you think has been the issue? Is it 'fit'? You certainty applied widely.

I doubt an adcom would take the time to come on here snoop, I'm sure you are being considered at UC Irvine!

I love all the schools for different reasons, but I'm coming straight from undergrad so I know it's a longer shot for the Ph.D

Master's programs seem like they take forever to notify.....

For sure, I'll be sure to check around this forum.....there isn't really a centralized place for us!

As your third time applying....what do you think has been the issue? Is it 'fit'? You certainty applied widely.

I doubt an adcom would take the time to come on here snoop, I'm sure you are being considered at UC Irvine!

I love all the schools for different reasons, but I'm coming straight from undergrad so I know it's a longer shot for the Ph.D

Master's programs seem like they take forever to notify.....

I think my heavy production background/nearly no research background is the problem. That's what all my professors say. I have little research experience and I'm trying to get into a PhD program. I think the adcoms think all I care about is making movies...not research. Because of my little writing experience I also suspect my writing sample and SOP aren't as polished as others.

I applied to that program my first year because my thesis idea involved doing both research and practice but last year and this year, since my interest has changed, I applied to the traditional research program.

From reading biographies of the students currently in that program you are refering to, and the other information on the site, I gather that that program isn't really for people like me who like to make traditional narratives and do research. It's more for people doing experimental media. Like mixing video games with some other technology or doing media stuff for mobile phones. For those of us who like making mainstream hollywood stuff and doing hardcore research I didn't think that program was a match.

On my apps I played down my production background and highlighted my interest in soley focusing on research but I think my transcript shows my obvious extensive background in production.

On top of this I still don't think the quality of writing is up to par with others who have been focusing on research so I think that's where the real problem lies.

Hey!

I PM'd you something that might help you in the future. It may help you get some research under your belt.

Got it! Thanks. That's really nice. I'll keep an eye out for more stuff like this.

Good luck to you with all your apps. I hope you get in somewhere.

Hey all,

did anybody hear anything from:

NYU - Cinema Studies (PhD)

UCLA - Cinema and Media Studies (PhD)

Yale - Film Studies (PhD)

Harvard - Folm and Visual Studies (PhD)

Brown - Modern Culture and Media (PhD)

U Chicago - Cinema and Media Studies (PhD)

Northwestern - Screen Cultures (PhD)

I have heard nothing from the above mentioned schools. Also, when is USC - Critical Studies (PhD) going to announce its candidates (so far, I have only seen rejections on gradcafe)?

Hey all,

I have heard nothing from the above mentioned schools. Also, when is USC - Critical Studies (PhD) going to announce its candidates (so far, I have only seen rejections on gradcafe)?

It's all quiet on the Western Front...I haven't heard a peep from these places. I thought I saw one acceptance for U Chicago a while back.

Hmm. Undergrad BA in English from a small college (though within top 100). Two independent studies in film, summer research as well. All on Wong Kar-wai. Mainly interested in auteur theory via semiotics. A lot of emphasis on Dudley Andrew and Christian Metz. Also Matthew Bernstein. Overall GPA is, frankly, low. Fresh/soph years messed me up. I'm not from the States, and wasn't really ready for the wide scope of a liberal arts program. Recovered rapidly once I found my strengths in film and English though. Heavy course overload in junior/senior years, and A's in every film course taken. Short film made during independent study screened at local indie festival. GRE: 800v/680q/4.5. I have (hopefully) very strong recs from three professors who've known me very closely and know my best and worst qualities. No publications or conferences though :/

Applied to:

Emory MA

U. Chicago

Northwestern

Brown

Yale [Comp. Lit/Film Studies]

Harvard

U. Florida

I've seen 2 admits for UFlorida and 1 for UChicago, and one interview for Northwestern on this forum. UFlorida assistant grad coordinator said they won't be done until 3-4 weeks from now. Bernstein had mentioned Emory may take upto early February before any decisions are made. I saw a flurry of Yale Comp. Lit. rejections some days ago here, but no Film Studies combo.

Edit: I've heard from my advisor, who teaches at the U. Iowa Writer's Workshop, that UI's Cinema Studies program is "possibly on the chopping block." I do remember Corey Creekmur of UI mentioning heavy budget cuts this year.

Edited by Swagato

Hey all,

I've heard from USC PhD, they moved my file to be considered from the M.A. program. That was back at the beginning of February. Hoping that's a good sign. I'm thinking that Harvard will notify by postal mail very soon, last year they seemed to notify at the end of February and the beginning of march.

Swagato, do you know how many people they accept to Emory's M.A. program? I applied there as well.

Edited by Film_Freak

Sorry, I've really no idea. Fingers are crossed that Emory's program may take a more generous cohort due to being an MA. Dr. Bernstein is a really amiable man though, so you could try contacting him? Right now I'm biting my fingernails because of the flurry of Brown-related posts on this board's results page. I didn't receive the email they're all agog over, and I'm wondering wtf that could mean.

When does Northwestern normally send out acceptances and rejections?

People were already invited to interview weekend, around late January. Acceptances seem to go out in late feb/early march via the website. Some as early as Feb 28th.

Swagato, they admit about six students a year into the Emory program.

I had an email update from Dr. Bernstein just this morning informing me they are running a "bit behind schedule" -- I interpret that to mean they have a large applicant pool -- and that he'd be able to have some sort of answer for me early next week regarding Emory admissions.

In other news, I emailed Dudley Andrew at Yale and received a wonderful email from him. I think it's the nicest rejection I've ever faced. It seems the Comp. Lit. current cohort is unusually larger. On top of that, budget cuts and excessive applications means the Comp. Lit./Film Studies pairing will only admit -one- student this year. o_O

Film_Freak, thanks for that bit of research!

Film_Freak: I don't know that Bernstein implied Emory itself will be able to send out any news. He was responding to a personal question concerning my own application, pretty much. I got the feeling his answer was along the lines of "I'll probably be able to give you an idea of where you stand next week-ish." Of course, if the general news comes out, it's just as well. Hate waiting.

It's kind of funny how top guys like Andrew and Bernstein responded so promptly, while my email to the Dir. at CMS, U. Chicago and U. Florida have gone unanswered so far :s

Do we know if UF is completely done with their admits? I've seen at least 3 admits to the English program on gradcafe itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd post this here as well since its the other active Film thread. If anyone has been accepted to Emory and will not be declining, or has been placed on the wait-list and will not be waiting it out, please let them know as soon as you can. Thank you.