Questions to Ask

how does everyone else feel about recruitment emails, unsolicited letters from faculty, 'woo-factor,' &c.?

i'm getting very different vibes from the different places i'm in, due to the tone/frequency of these pushes

on their part, and i don't want to end up getting the wrong impression (i.e., that some places Just Aren't

That Into Me) based on this, if it really is just a matter of different guerilla campaigns ...

thoughts?!

Here's my take: when professors contact me to say that they're enthusiastic about my scholarship, I respond by feeling super excited and more interested in their program, because they've made a minimal effort to be friendly. None of this is mysterious—any DGS will know this, and if they care about recruitment, then they'll make some kind of effort. Faculty become aware of you either because you mentioned their name directly in your personal statement (or elsewhere on the application), or, I think more frequently, because your stated interests fit with theirs and the DGS gives them your contact info and asks them to email/call. 

Obviously, making a minimal effort to be friendly isn't really indicative of how friendly a program will be; however, it does make a difference to the student. All but one of the programs that have accepted me have had at least one professor contact me—and the one that hasn't contacted me, I've basically written off. Whether or not they contact you isn't necessarily indicative of how much they want you—there could be a number of reasons, or that they just don't contact admitted students in general. Because if they admitted you, then they want you, so I look at it more as a reflection on how their department works rather than their interest in me. 

Re: transfer credits. I have heard from some well-placed people that the right time for a transfer-credit question should come after at least a few months. I suppose the risk is that you may come off as wanting to get out of work too soon? I had thought about asking this during my visit, but I've decided I shan't do so (I will be entering with an MA). 

I haven't had someone react negatively to this question, but I can see what the fear would be.  A lot of programs in my field are the "We issue MAs on the way to the PhD", so while transfering in with an MA in hand isn't unheard of, it isn't the only way to do things. 

Usually I ask "As you know, I already have my MA.  Can you talk to me about how this affects the graduation timeline and credit requirements?" At that point they usually volunteer the transfer info.  In one case it turned out to be a good thing because they'd made a mistake filing my application and thought I was looking for a (second) terminal MA.  Of course, YMMV. :)

Random notes:

Re: MA Transfer. I think it's perfectly fair to ask about transferring in units. Actually, it's one of my points of comparison! I really do want to finish in five years, and the programs that allow me to transfer in more units present an advantage. Most of my programs made it clear online how much coursework I would have to complete coming in with an MA, but the one that did not, I asked. The norm seems to be three classes.

Re: Flattery. I found that it's important to understand why one program is more assertively welcoming than the others. University X has been extremely welcoming; almost all of the professors have emailed me, offering to answer questions; then, several PhD students emailed me to welcome me. I found out later that this program only admits 1-2 rhet/comp students a year, so it's not that the other programs don't love me. It's just that I may very well be the only student rhet/comp admitted this year at University X, so they can spend the time and effort to pour on individual attention. The small size of the cohort has advantages and disadvantages that I am now considering.

Now for my own question: I would like to ask programs about their parental leave policy for graduate assistants, but I feel uncomfortable announcing my reproductive plans to my future employers. I've been able to find out some info online, but other universities don't seem to have that information readily available. Do I just bite the bullet and directly ask? This is one question that I feel is incredibly important, but I also don't feel like explaining my reasoning behind asking it (even if it's incredibly obvious).

^ That's really helpful and tactful, thanks. Naturally, I'm focused on time to degree, so if in fact my MA can be applied toward shaving off some time, so much the better! Yet at the same time I don't want to give the wrong impression.

Now for my own question: I would like to ask programs about their parental leave policy for graduate assistants, but I feel uncomfortable announcing my reproductive plans to my future employers. I've been able to find out some info online, but other universities don't seem to have that information readily available. Do I just bite the bullet and directly ask? This is one question that I feel is incredibly important, but I also don't feel like explaining my reasoning behind asking it (even if it's incredibly obvious).

That is a tricky, and unfortunately sort of invasive discussion. Maybe ask current graduate students what they know about family leave and the program, at least to start?  Alternatively, you might be more comfortable talking to a female professor in the department (even if they're not the graduate chair) about this.  I imagine the kind of response you get to your question might tell you a lot.

That is a tricky, and unfortunately sort of invasive discussion. Maybe ask current graduate students what they know about family leave and the program, at least to start?  Alternatively, you might be more comfortable talking to a female professor in the department (even if they're not the graduate chair) about this.  I imagine the kind of response you get to your question might tell you a lot.

That is brilliant! Thanks for the great suggestions.

Here's a NYTimes blog post that concerns that very issue:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/pregnant-without-a-policy-in-graduate-school/

Thanks for sharing. This blog addressed lots of my concerns. I'm sad to see they are still concerns, but glad to see people are at least talking about the issue.

You could potentially ask about what the program's policy for taking a leave of absence is, without specifying the reason. I know nothing about the issue of parental leave, but if a program allows a leave of absence for a certain amount of time, maybe you could take advantage of that? I'd still be careful who and how you ask this: you don't want to make it seem like you already want to leave.

-What sundry administative fees am I responsible for?

-What competitive funding is available after 5 years? Do English grads tend to be successful in securing this funding?

-Am I responsible for Summer school fees? (if applicable)

-What extracurricular activities (readings/workshops) are available through the department?

Edited by Porridge