Univ. of British Columbia

Mathk1d

Has anyone heard anything from The University of British Columbia Applied Math program?

I got an email from a professor feeling out whether or not our interests aligned. Sadly the email was also very clear that it was not an acceptance.

I got an email from a professor feeling out whether or not our interests aligned. Sadly the email was also very clear that it was not an acceptance.

I got an email from a professor too! I wonder if it is an informal acceptance. I imagine they wouldn't send the email to people that don't have the credentials! Are you applying for a Master's or PhD? Did the professor reply to you yet?

I got an email from a professor too! I wonder if it is an informal acceptance. I imagine they wouldn't send the email to people that don't have the credentials! Are you applying for a Master's or PhD? Did the professor reply to you yet?

Yeah I'm hoping its a good sign. I applied for the PhD, but realized later I wasn't really 'qualified' for it (I'm not particularly familiar with the Canadian school system); so I called the Graduate advisor and had them change my status to applying for the MS, but I don't know if that actually got done. They sound like they got swamped with applications this year.

I replied discussing my interest in the various projects, and got a short reply linking me to some relevant work. Haven't heard anything else. Yourself?

Good luck to you! What subfield are you interested in? Which department did you apply through?

Yeah I'm hoping its a good sign. I applied for the PhD, but realized later I wasn't really 'qualified' for it (I'm not particularly familiar with the Canadian school system); so I called the Graduate advisor and had them change my status to applying for the MS, but I don't know if that actually got done. They sound like they got swamped with applications this year.

I replied discussing my interest in the various projects, and got a short reply linking me to some relevant work. Haven't heard anything else. Yourself?

Good luck to you! What subfield are you interested in? Which department did you apply through?

I applied to the Interdisciplinary Center for Applied Math (or whatever it is haha). I really like their mathematical biology research. So I'm interested in their mathematical bio program. UBC is prob. my top school! I'll be so excited if I get in! I'd loooove to be in Vancouver too!

Don't worry, I have BS degree too, and I applied for the PhD. They said if you are rejected from the PhD, you will be admitted to the MS degree. :)

I'm afraid about funding there though... I think you have to pay tuition if you are a master's student, which is 6K/yr. On an 18K stipend, that leaves 12K to live on in Vancouver... a little crazy I'd say.

What are you interested in?

I applied to the Interdisciplinary Center for Applied Math (or whatever it is haha). I really like their mathematical biology research. So I'm interested in their mathematical bio program. UBC is prob. my top school! I'll be so excited if I get in! I'd loooove to be in Vancouver too!

Don't worry, I have BS degree too, and I applied for the PhD. They said if you are rejected from the PhD, you will be admitted to the MS degree. :)

I'm afraid about funding there though... I think you have to pay tuition if you are a master's student, which is 6K/yr. On an 18K stipend, that leaves 12K to live on in Vancouver... a little crazy I'd say.

What are you interested in?

I'm also into mathematical biology... they have such a cool program at UBC. Hopefully there's room for the both of us.

And yeah, being a master's student there will be awfully, awfully tight. I'm a little scared of that too. They say they're really specific about funding in their admissions offers, so hopefully there at least won't be any uncertainty! The really tight money would probably only be for the first year, so it could be survived.

I'm also into mathematical biology... they have such a cool program at UBC. Hopefully there's room for the both of us.

And yeah, being a master's student there will be awfully, awfully tight. I'm a little scared of that too. They say they're really specific about funding in their admissions offers, so hopefully there at least won't be any uncertainty! The really tight money would probably only be for the first year, so it could be survived.

hehe, yeah I actually just read on their website that a Master's student can transfer to the PhD program in 1 year. That's comforting I guess. Hopefully we're getting the email because they have RA money :)

What background do you come from? I'm a chemical engineering major. I'm kind of scared of making no money and having no job by going into mathematical biology. But, I suppose it's noble to do what you want to do rather than something lucrative that you don't want to do. For example, one of my professors went to a mathematical biology conference and 80% of the post-doc's were unemployed, he said.

hehe, yeah I actually just read on their website that a Master's student can transfer to the PhD program in 1 year. That's comforting I guess. Hopefully we're getting the email because they have RA money :)

What background do you come from? I'm a chemical engineering major. I'm kind of scared of making no money and having no job by going into mathematical biology. But, I suppose it's noble to do what you want to do rather than something lucrative that you don't want to do. For example, one of my professors went to a mathematical biology conference and 80% of the post-doc's were unemployed, he said.

I'm from a physics background, so its not like I'm giving up lucrative work elsewhere...

As to jobs, I think it depends on the area you're in. Mathematical Biology is growing pretty quickly as a discipline, especially if you're into anything health-related. So I hope, anyway. At least it'll be fun to study...

I sure wish they'd let us know - that email was quite the teaser. I have another acceptance I'm very pleased with, but I really do love the Pacific Northwest.

I'm from a physics background, so its not like I'm giving up lucrative work elsewhere...

As to jobs, I think it depends on the area you're in. Mathematical Biology is growing pretty quickly as a discipline, especially if you're into anything health-related. So I hope, anyway. At least it'll be fun to study...

I sure wish they'd let us know - that email was quite the teaser. I have another acceptance I'm very pleased with, but I really do love the Pacific Northwest.

lol, yeah mathematical biology will be fun to study. If anything, I'm along for the ride! :) The "one step at a time" philosophy works well here. I am also immensely anxious to know if I got in!

• 3 weeks later...

I received an offer of acceptance from UBC today, but I'm on the pure math side..I can say they appear super detailed about the amount/source of funding they provide, as one person said.

Edited by desiduous

Just wanted to add that I as well received an offer from UBC this week, although this was also from the math dept.

I got an email from one of the prof. working in my preferred field last week letting me know that I was accepted and then this week the official offer with funding details arrived. I have to second that they are very specific about funding.

On a related note, does anyone know much about Vancouver and the cost of living? I have no idea how far 20-22k/year will go

On a related note, does anyone know much about Vancouver and the cost of living? I have no idea how far 20-22k/year will go

You should be fine with that stipend. I've lived here for several years on less as an undergrad. If you go for on-campus housing, it generally costs $5000-$7000 for an 8-month contract in shared housing. If you don't splurge too much, $4000 can keep you well fed and alive for the 8 months (this is after initial costs like furniture are out of the way). Factor in another $7000 and a bit for tuition and fees and you still have a few thousand left over. Even if you live off campus, if you find a good deal you can get about $600/month shared. Your mileage may vary of course.

Also, there are plenty of thrift sales and the like to save even more money. There's a church near the university that does a huge sale with furniture, kitchen supplies, etc. every year (on Blanca street IIRC).

Edited by metasyntactic

Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who has actually lived there rather than just doing hypothetical calculations.

My biggest problem is that I'm offered MUCH more money for grad schools here in Europe and the programs are definitely as good as UBC's - particularly one of the schools I'm considering. However I've found that I really enjoyed grad life in North America (visited for six months) and the whole experience of going abroad, especially to a place like Vancouver, is quite appealing.

My girlfriend would also come with me and thus we face the problem of finding her a new job - seeing how she now has her dream job here, it is a bit difficult to pull her away from that..

Oh well, I'm glad there's a month left to decide in