Indigenous History

Lily9

Does anyone else have Indigenous History/Native American History as a field? I'll be doing that plus Public History/ a bit of Architectural History so I'd love to chat with anyone that is going into that/is in a program where they study that.

9 hours ago, Lily9 said:

Does anyone else have Indigenous History/Native American History as a field? I'll be doing that plus Public History/ a bit of Architectural History so I'd love to chat with anyone that is going into that/is in a program where they study that.

Hey, my research is partly about LGBT Maori and very much about public history, so I'd be happy to talk - I'd maybe warn against using a "/" between Indigenous and Native American, just because plenty of Indigenous scholars are looking at people outside of North America. When I was looking at schools and thinking about advisors I tended to stick to historians of the 20th C. US--my research is primarily about the US but it's also somewhat true that a lot of Pacific and Indigenous scholars are listed as "US" historians anyway (obviously not true at every school). Theoretically my field is 20th c. US but in reality it's more like 20th and 21st century US and Pacific sexuality/gender and public history/archives. Anyway! Message me if you want to chat. 

Edited by OHSP

Hi there,

I have an MA in history with an emphasis on indigenous history in Canada. I finished the program 17 years ago -- where does the time go? And loved the program. Never worked in the field though. So my advice would be to target teaching history early in your career if that's what you want to do because it can be very hard to do when you have kids.