UChicago CIR MA or Harris MACRM?

bwhy

If anyone is familiar with UChicago's Committee on International Relations MA and Harris School's MA in Public Policy with Certificate in Research Methods, please help me out!

I find both programs appealing because they are shorter than most MA programs, but I have heard mixed things about both programs. I don't know which one to apply for because I would like to pursue a PhD in International Relations or Political Science in the future, not Public Policy, but I am keen to work on my quant skills. Any thoughts?

Any help will be appreciated!

I didn't attend, but did quite a bit of due diligence on both, and if you're interested in a PhD I would definitely go MACRM. It seems like a terrific pre-PhD program, with excellent faculty connections, quant skill-building, and strong placement. If you look at the curriculum, it's not really a public policy program, and I'm sure you could tailor your research to your interests. 

That said, if you're not into all-quant, all the time, or aren't positive a PhD is next, the MA in CIR is probably better. 

Edited by makingtheleap.back

Thanks so much for your advice! My undergrad quant background is subpar at best - econometrics, statistics, I could squeeze out multivariate calc - but I am willing to learn. Do you think MACRM will be too advanced for me? 

Will be too adcanced in terms of admission? No, it won't be that quant background that gets you in, but it also won't keep you out. In terms of having to take multiple grad-level math couroses simultaneously? That's for you to decide. I'd use econometrics as the barometer. If you really struggled, it might be tough, but of you found it challenging but doable, you'll probably be fine. The curveballs in the curriculIum  (which you can find on their website) are things like game theory, but that background is strong enough in comparison to other public policy/IR/poli sci applicants, based on what I could gather. 

I was asked to be a TA for econometrics so I would like to think I'm not too shabby at it? Thank you so much for your advice! You have certainly made choosing between programs that much easier.