Loyola (Chicago)

Did anyone get the email yesterday about applications still be under review and the committee still making decisions? I thought okay, not going to hear from them for a while.

But then there was a result post from someone who said they were wait listed for phd and had been accepted in the masters program.

So, now I'm like whoa wait.

Did anyone get the email yesterday about applications still be under review and the committee still making decisions? I thought okay, not going to hear from them for a while.

But then there was a result post from someone who said they were wait listed for phd and had been accepted in the masters program.

So, now I'm like whoa wait.

Hi Muffinlit,

I was the one who posted that result. I got an email from Pamela Caughie saying that while they are still making decisions on admits, they apparently already put me on the wait list. They are doing things differently this year--last year I applied and was notified via mail sometime in March. Essentially she emailed me to ask if I'd like to be taken off of the PhD wait list in exchange for an admit to their *possibly* funded MA program. Seemed kind of strange to me. I get the idea that they are overwhelmed with applicants and are trying to eliminate as many people from the PhD pool as possible. I will more than likely be turning down their offer but I'm holding off until I go to another school's recruitment week.

That's really helpful. LUC is one of my top choices (if not the top, given the way the other Chicago schools have gone for me). I also got the mass email about still reviewing apps (though my heart skipped 3 beats when I got it)--I think I got it on Monday.

That's certainly an interesting way of doing things. I wonder just how many apps they got...

That's really helpful. LUC is one of my top choices (if not the top, given the way the other Chicago schools have gone for me). I also got the mass email about still reviewing apps (though my heart skipped 3 beats when I got it)--I think I got it on Monday.

That's certainly an interesting way of doing things. I wonder just how many apps they got...

LUC is a great program and everyone who goes there seems to love it, and they were very friendly and helpful when I was waitlisted (and eventually rejected) last year. I was just a little put off by the bargaining strategy they seem to be trying to use this time around. I emailed back asking for more details, I'll update everyone if I get any helpful info.

Hi Muffinlit,

I was the one who posted that result. I got an email from Pamela Caughie saying that while they are still making decisions on admits, they apparently already put me on the wait list. They are doing things differently this year--last year I applied and was notified via mail sometime in March. Essentially she emailed me to ask if I'd like to be taken off of the PhD wait list in exchange for an admit to their *possibly* funded MA program. Seemed kind of strange to me. I get the idea that they are overwhelmed with applicants and are trying to eliminate as many people from the PhD pool as possible. I will more than likely be turning down their offer but I'm holding off until I go to another school's recruitment week.

Hadunc, Did you muster any additional information about this "possibly" funded MA? This is strange of the school to comprise a wait list before a list of accepted students. How many are they admitting this year?

Hadunc, Did you muster any additional information about this "possibly" funded MA? This is strange of the school to comprise a wait list before a list of accepted students. How many are they admitting this year?

I didn't get much info at all, and I have a feeling they are being intentionally vague. I'm not sure this bargaining process is completely kosher. I ran the offer by one of my LOR writers, and she told me that this is not protocol and is potentially unethical.

This is what I think is going on, after giving it some thought. Since I'm a re-applicant, they probably figure that I really want to attend their program. They also know that last year when I was on the wait list I was pretty desperate. I think they're basically trying to get me into their department at the cheapest price possible. They're essentially giving me two options: make a gamble by staying on the wait list, or take their consolation prize that may or may not have some funding attached, the catch being that to find out if there's funding, I have to take my name off of the wait list.

Needless to say I'm not very happy about the way they are handling the situation. I kind of expected better from Loyola, especially since they were so nice last year.

Also, I don't know how many they're admitting but they supposedly had a "large number of applications for very few openings."

I didn't get much info at all, and I have a feeling they are being intentionally vague. I'm not sure this bargaining process is completely kosher. I ran the offer by one of my LOR writers, and she told me that this is not protocol and is potentially unethical.

This is what I think is going on, after giving it some thought. Since I'm a re-applicant, they probably figure that I really want to attend their program. They also know that last year when I was on the wait list I was pretty desperate. I think they're basically trying to get me into their department at the cheapest price possible. They're essentially giving me two options: make a gamble by staying on the wait list, or take their consolation prize that may or may not have some funding attached, the catch being that to find out if there's funding, I have to take my name off of the wait list.

Needless to say I'm not very happy about the way they are handling the situation. I kind of expected better from Loyola, especially since they were so nice last year.

I wonder how many students they are offering this "deal" to. If you did do the MA--funded or not--you still wouldn't have a spot for the PhD program the following year, correct? I don't see how that can possibly help you. Do you already have a master's?

I wonder how many students they are offering this "deal" to. If you did do the MA--funded or not--you still wouldn't have a spot for the PhD program the following year, correct? I don't see how that can possibly help you. Do you already have a master's?

I have no idea how many people they're offering this to, it might just be me. But if they are composing a wait list before even making decisions, who knows? My email came straight from the DGS. And yes, I would have to reapply for the PhD. So yeah, I really have no idea why they are even offering this to me, except for maybe they think I want to go there badly enough to pay at least partially for the MA. Like I said on the results board, no thanks!

Also, I don't know how many they're admitting but they supposedly had a "large number of applications for very few openings."

That doesn't bode well...sigh. Guess we'll see soon how this pans out, even if they are being shady. Good luck to everyone!

Someone got wait listed via postal service on the results page... anyone else hear any news?

I'm dying a slow death. I just want to hear from some schools.

I can't understand how a school could come up with a wait list before they decide on acceptances....seems like if you are going to create a list of second choices, you should already have your first choices lined up, right? If the person wait listed wants to claim it, I'd love to hear if you got the same bizarre "deal" offered to you regarding the MA program.

Just to let all of you know, I got an official letter in the mail yesterday stating that I had been wait listed and that admission decisions had been made. So I imagine those accepted will be hearing from them pretty soon.

So, more weirdness on Loyola's part. I got an Email from the DGS today, saying there's no room in the PH.D for me, but "the committee recommended you for the MA."

Unlike the post above, she says the MA is "generally unfunded," but says she could move my application there, so I wouldn't have to go through the application process again.

I don't know how to feel about this [talk about an anticlimactic Email decision,] and wanted to know what you all thought. I'm also wondering, when she says "considered," but also "recommended," if that means I'd just be reapplying for the MA, or if it means that I'd definitely be accepted there. Not that I'm sure if I want to, with no funding.

So yeah, confused, and a little disappointed. But at the moment, mostly confused.

So, more weirdness on Loyola's part. I got an Email from the DGS today, saying there's no room in the PH.D for me, but "the committee recommended you for the MA."

Unlike the post above, she says the MA is "generally unfunded," but says she could move my application there, so I wouldn't have to go through the application process again.

I don't know how to feel about this [talk about an anticlimactic Email decision,] and wanted to know what you all thought. I'm also wondering, when she says "considered," but also "recommended," if that means I'd just be reapplying for the MA, or if it means that I'd definitely be accepted there. Not that I'm sure if I want to, with no funding.

So yeah, confused, and a little disappointed. But at the moment, mostly confused.

This is exactly what they did to me last year. After being wait listed, I was rejected and offered the exact same option. I think if they recommend you there's probably a good chance you'll be accepted, but more than likely without any funding. I think this is basically Loyola's way of funding their PhD students. Were you also wait listed or was it an outright rejection?

This is exactly what they did to me last year. After being wait listed, I was rejected and offered the exact same option. I think if they recommend you there's probably a good chance you'll be accepted, but more than likely without any funding. I think this is basically Loyola's way of funding their PhD students. Were you also wait listed or was it an outright rejection?

It was an outright rejection, unfortunately, even though this MA thing is making me feel like it was a half-assed rejection at that. And the whole thing galls me a little, but I also have a prof there I'd really like to work with and get to know, so it might not be the worst thing, especially since she says the program is only a year.

Do you have any idea what the protocol for this would be? Do I have to make my decision about whether I want to be considered for the MA right away? I suppose it can't hurt to be considered, and then make a yes or no decision of whether I want to be in the program at a later time. But this is the first place I've heard from, so I don't want to commit to too much.

It was an outright rejection, unfortunately, even though this MA thing is making me feel like it was a half-assed rejection at that. And the whole thing galls me a little, but I also have a prof there I'd really like to work with and get to know, so it might not be the worst thing, especially since she says the program is only a year.

Do you have any idea what the protocol for this would be? Do I have to make my decision about whether I want to be considered for the MA right away? I suppose it can't hurt to be considered, and then make a yes or no decision of whether I want to be in the program at a later time. But this is the first place I've heard from, so I don't want to commit to too much.

I think if the unfunded MA is something you'd consider then it can't hurt to tell them you're interested. After all, being admitted doesn't bind you to going there. I don't know if you have to tell them right away, but I would imagine that sooner rather than later would probably be best, especially if you want a chance at the partial funding. And it couldn't hurt to just send an email back asking how soon you'll need to make your decision.

Update... I was waitlisted for Loyola today via USPS.

To put it the way it really happened...

I WAS WAITLISTED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a series of rejections and losing hope for me/my husband/my effing mortgage to stay in Chicago, this is such a wonderful glimmer of hope, even if it doesn't pan out.

Sweet, sweet, mercy, I hope people withdraw their names.

No info on # of admits/waitlists/applications, but I'd love to know. I may email to ask.

Good luck to all.

I got my letter from Loyola yesterday, and Chicago is sadly not in my future. At least I've got an offer from another school with funding. I probably couldn't afford to live in Chicago anyway. See how I'm trying to convince myself it's all for the best? I think it might be working! Oh... wait.... no. It's not working.

Only five more to go. I shall wait stoically. And with wine.

Good luck to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

First, my condolences to those with bizarre MA offers and outright rejections. I'm currently batting 1/11, with a lifetime average of 2/25 in literature, so I know the frustrations common to this process.

However, I wanted to get this thread going again for those (including myself) who have been admitted for the fall PhD program but are still vacillating on accepting the offer. I'm not waiting to cause undue distress on the waitlist, believe me. Unfortunately, it has more to do with the lack of information contained in the acceptance letter, particularly with regards to funding. Does anyone know how Loyola's funding package works for incoming applicants with MA's? Their website has some scattered details, but I've read that it may be out of date, especially in terms of the amounts listed. In any event, these details do not add up to anything specific - it simply says that there are a number of assistantships available.

Further study in the field is my dream, and Loyola has a mind-blowing faculty for my research interests. Plus, I won't have to move. However, precarious funding kills it for me and opens the way to library science, where I have offers pending. At least debts accrued in that discipline will resolve themselves into some form of employment that is financially stable, involved with books, and not customer-service or law orientated.

Best of luck to all of you.

First, my condolences to those with bizarre MA offers and outright rejections. I'm currently batting 1/11, with a lifetime average of 2/25 in literature, so I know the frustrations common to this process.

However, I wanted to get this thread going again for those (including myself) who have been admitted for the fall PhD program but are still vacillating on accepting the offer. I'm not waiting to cause undue distress on the waitlist, believe me. Unfortunately, it has more to do with the lack of information contained in the acceptance letter, particularly with regards to funding. Does anyone know how Loyola's funding package works for incoming applicants with MA's? Their website has some scattered details, but I've read that it may be out of date, especially in terms of the amounts listed. In any event, these details do not add up to anything specific - it simply says that there are a number of assistantships available.

Further study in the field is my dream, and Loyola has a mind-blowing faculty for my research interests. Plus, I won't have to move. However, precarious funding kills it for me and opens the way to library science, where I have offers pending. At least debts accrued in that discipline will resolve themselves into some form of employment that is financially stable, involved with books, and not customer-service or law orientated.

Best of luck to all of you.

jjm, as much as I'd like for you to decline your acceptance and throw a bone to those of us on the LUC waitlist :), I believe all offers of admission to the PhD are funded. That's how it was framed for me in an email from the DGS. It's worth asking them.