Seeking MPA (or other program for political work)

af607105

Graduated in 2013 and was planning on attending law school, but decided that I ultimately do not want to practice law. Instead, I'd like to work in congressional politics. 

What MPA (or similar) programs would be recommended for someone with:

3.7 GPA

Years of teaching experience abroad

Interest in working on the Hill

My top choice so far is GWU's MPA. I'm also considering taking the GRE to expand my options, but after months of studying for the LSAT the thought of studying for an entirely new test is daunting.

Thanks!

Have you considered just applying to jobs on the Hill? Entry level jobs there don't pay particularly well, and an MPA with no political experience is probably getting the same job as a B.A with no political experience. Other ways to get to the Hill include working for political campaigns or associated political organizations. Not trying to dissuade you from an MPA, just helping you think through a few other options before you invest your time and money in a program. 

Don't get an MPA to work on the Hill, unless you have money to burn and just want the education.

Have you looked at the backgrounds of people who are currently in positions you might want? I deal with a lot of Congressional staffers for work. Those in the 22-35 range typically have no more than a bachelor's degree. If they have an advanced degree, it's usually a JD. And no matter what, the salary is pretty terrible. 

Thanks for the replies! I began to consider the MPA after having difficulty securing an internship or staff assistant job on the Hill.

I don't have any connections and have tried reaching out to strangers on LinkedIn, but no one has really offered to help or give me any advice. I'm also applying to almost everything on Tom Manatos, but have yet to get any responses.

I figure the MPA will give me time to intern and network, but I agree that it isn't necessary. 

Does anyone have any advice or leads to share? I'd sincerely appreciate it. Definitely willing to start at the bottom so I can watch and learn everything I possibly can.

Edited by af607105

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have really great advice because I specifically did NOT want to work in DC. But when I was researching schools, people said the schools in DC have the best access to DC networks. Heinz has a really great DC apprenticeship program where you spend your second year working *I think* almost full-time in DC and taking class at night. Duke, Michigan, and LBJ also seemed to have decent/good DC networks based on alumni titles/employment outcomes.

Edited by dollybird