Duke Nicholas School--Price

Diverchica

The Duke CEM program is my number one choice! However, it's SO expensive! They gave me around $6000, 3000 of which is an assistantship. However, it's about 30,000 a year (including tuition and fees).

I think I can get some army money (my husband to be is in the army), perhaps $6,000 more per year, but does anyone know how else I can get some money?

Does the government give grants (via FAFSA) for independents with barely any income? or is it mostly loans?

and finally, if you attend Duke (either MPP or MEM, etc.), do you feel like you made the right decision in terms of the $$ investment??

rolleyes.gif

Thank you!!!

K

I'm facing the same questions. I'm not aware of any grants from the government for either an MEM or MPP, so I think the answer is that you'll pay for it by taking out loans. For Duke, that's a lot of loans. It's a tough call because most grads don't seem to make that much after graduating. On the other hand, having a degree from Duke would help you *get* a job.

I'd also like to hear the perspective of any current/former Duke Masters students...

Hello and congratulations on getting in!

I was admitted to the Nicholas School last year. I decided to go to Tufts, but I would suggest appealing your aid letter. Search my old posts because I posted on this last year. It worked for me with Duke and they modestly increased my package, but I ultimately decided to go to Tufts.

and finally, if you attend Duke (either MPP or MEM, etc.), do you feel like you made the right decision in terms of the $$ investment??

rolleyes.gif

Thank you!!!

K

Duke's expensive, no way around it. The MPP program is about $7k more than Nicholas. I was very concerned about money and debt going in, but now not so much. People come out of here and make plenty of money doing the jobs they want to do, even in this economy. It's damn impressive. I've been burned in the employment market before and I was very gun-shy coming into this program about my likely mountain of debt; now just 7 months in I'm already deep into several job prospects and they all pay very well. From what I see (and from the MEM/MPP dual degrees who I'm friends with and work with almost every day) the Nick kids are in a similar position, and those focused on the engineering side of things are doing even better than us policy peeps.

I got a little financial aid but it was mostly token - I'll still have about $80k in loans when I graduate. I got more elsewhere (Michigan and UCLA), but knowing what I know now I'd still pick Duke and would do so more confidently. It's not a perfect situation for sure, but it is a damn good one.

Funny enough, the option to dual with the MEM was one of the biggest reasons I chose Sanford, but I've since decided against it. It's a very science-y program, more so than I've decided I'm interested in. It also kills the number of electives you can take unfortunately, and there's some business and law classes I feel I need to take in addition to policy and enviro courses.

I have applied to the business school to do the dual MBA/MPP 3 yr. degree though - we'll see if I get in. If not, I'll bounce with just an MPP and be pretty happy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see this topic! Stilesg57: I am in sort of a similar situation as you were, though reversed. I've been accepted to both Sanford and Nicholas schools to do the dual MPP/MEM (the latter in Coastal Environmental Management). However, my primary interest is science and going to the Nick school's CEM program. I'm trying to decide if the MPP degree is going to be worth it, or if it would constrain my Nick school electives significantly. I can see myself just joining the Nick school and being happy with that, but I'm wondering if the addition of the MPP would greatly open up opportunities, and would be worth an extra year of debt (and the extra workload of a master's project, course coordination, etc.). Also I perceive other difficulties since CEM students often spend their second year at the marine lab campus.

Do you know any MPP/MEM(CEM) students yourself, and if so, have they expressed any opinions about their decision to do the program? Do they feel it was the right choice? Do they feel any constraints on designing their program and course selection?

Of course I'm posing this question directly to the graduate office too, but any insights you have would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of in the same situation too - CEM at the Nicholas School is my number 1 choice, and I'll probably end up there, but I'm nervous about the debt - especially considering that my other option(s) are fully funded.

But...it is an investment, as was said earlier....at least that's what I keep telling myself.

I'm glad to see this topic! Stilesg57: I am in sort of a similar situation as you were, though reversed. I've been accepted to both Sanford and Nicholas schools to do the dual MPP/MEM (the latter in Coastal Environmental Management). However, my primary interest is science and going to the Nick school's CEM program. I'm trying to decide if the MPP degree is going to be worth it, or if it would constrain my Nick school electives significantly. I can see myself just joining the Nick school and being happy with that, but I'm wondering if the addition of the MPP would greatly open up opportunities, and would be worth an extra year of debt (and the extra workload of a master's project, course coordination, etc.). Also I perceive other difficulties since CEM students often spend their second year at the marine lab campus.

Do you know any MPP/MEM(CEM) students yourself, and if so, have they expressed any opinions about their decision to do the program? Do they feel it was the right choice? Do they feel any constraints on designing their program and course selection?

Of course I'm posing this question directly to the graduate office too, but any insights you have would be appreciated!

I'm sorry I missed this!

Shoot me an email at garrett.stiles at duke dot edu (sorry for the cryptic email address, I just don't want any bots to find it and start sending me spam). I can put you in touch with a couple MPP/MEMs so you can get their take; I'm working on a big project with one so I see her like three times a day. I'll give them your contact info and perhaps they can answer some questions for you better than I can.