applying from the land of oz

ozmusicbird

Well, I have been visiting this site for a while and decided it was time to join up and take part in the group angsting. I am an Australian grad with a double bachelor's degree (both in the humanities) and first class honours in my field. I have applied to a mixture of schools (public, private, ivy...) and went over to America to interview at 6 of them. I am now sitting at home, waiting out the long summer holidays (well, the remainder of my annual leave) wondering "what now"? April is a long time away and I have no idea - is there anything more I can do at this point? I don't expect to hear anything until late February or March, and other than my parents and best friend (and obviously, some academics at my undergrad institution) no one knows I have applied. I am terrified of not getting in to any of the 12 schools to which I have applied. So, how is everyone else out there coping?

I try to alternate between feeding my anxiety about the admissions committees, my imposter syndrome (I'm already in grad school), and my inner perfectionist who *just knows* something got messed up in my statements of purpose. That way, I always have a fresh neurosis to wake up to every morning.

Life is dull when you only make yourself sick worrying about one thing at a time.

Excuse my ignorance - what are you studying? If you are already in a graduate program what is making you apply elsewhere? Or is this one of those horror situations I have heard about from friends in North America where you have to leave after masters and pursue the Phd bit at a different institution?

Anyway, good luck. Glad I am not the only neurotic out there!

Yeah. I'm in the same situation as Britt. At North American schools, it is no longer frowned upon to earn one's MA and PhD at different institutions. In fact, it seems like about 1/3 of the people I'm studying with are doing an MA here, then moving on to another uni.

I guess I'm using my MA as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I applied to do my PhD here, as well, but there are some other schools I would prefer. Besides, I think I would fit better at some institutions where my dissertation topic is more closely aligned to my potential advisor's current interests.