UT-Austin rant

rising_star

Apparently, if you applied to UT-Austin in the past and apply again, even though it's for a different degree, your application ID number is the same. when you log in, they list the documents they've received and old ones are still there (ie, GRE scores and transcripts). Too bad there is no indication of that before you actually submit the application otherwise I could've saved myself at least $20.

That seems as if it might cause some confusion when new documents arrive, too. I mean, who's to know if the person entered the new data (say you retested at ETS, or have new info on your xscripts) when you check to make sure your supplementary materials are in?

I guess that's how it goes, though - every institution has to be different.

Thank goodness I didn't retake the GRE. It should be fine... I think. It lists my study abroad transcript as received (the 05 date) and then says it's missing spring 06 on my undergrad transcript and my transcript from grad school. *sigh* But I'm just bitter about the money.

Ha! As if this process is ever cheap. I would have loved to have had the time and money to put in twice as many applications as I did, but alas! it was not to be. I could only swing a half dozen before my thesis work began eyeballing me from the bookshelves and office desk.

Let alone the $1000 it cost me, all told.

My thesis and I are going to start spending about 4 hours a week together, beginning on Thursday. I have a draft of the whole thing due on Feb 1 (which is sneaking up on me all of a sudden).

I wish I had the time/money to do more research and apply to more schools. But, that's life. My logic is that if I don't get in, I can take more time to apply next time around. And maybe adjunct in the meantime...

Oh, I'm big on backup plans. I need to have something in case all this goes wrong. Last time my backup plan was to apply for theater internships. I might still do that this time though my plan now is to get a teaching certificate and teach middle school or high school if I can't/don't get in anywhere.

None of that sounds very exciting.

I wonder what sort of credentials one requires to become a gigolo. That always looks like fun in the movies: living in exotic places, entertaining wealthy women, not having to complete a thesis (a.k.a. having a sex life). I wonder if you can get a certificate for that.

Okay, so maybe the movies romanticize a bit. I suppose I could always go do some more language work, or enter a really good school as a non-degree student, and win the professors over with my wit, charm, and rugged good looks.

Or the gigolo thing. I dunno.

Not exciting? What could be more exciting than trying to teach social studies to a bunch of 12 year olds? Actually, I'm thinking of going back to the theater backup plan.

Check out the job listings at idealist.org, they give me hope.

The problem with idealist.org is that all of their jobs require you to like people, children, or animals. It seems like a losing situation, really.

Does the position of Mad Scientist require an MS, or can you get in on the ground floor with a bachelor's degree?