Advice about taking mathematical statistics

I'm trying to decide if I should take mathematical statistics in the fall and would really appreciate some advice from you all. I'm applying to masters programs in statistics and I understand that mathematical statistics is a very important class that the adcoms look for. I was an Econ major in college and didn't take all the statistics prerequisites (probability and math stats) in college. However, I managed to take probability as a summer class and am now just short of the math stats requirement. There is an opportunity for me to enroll in a math stats class in the fall at a college near me, however, I am also working full-time and fall is shaping up to be a particularly busy time, which means I could be working 60-70 hours for some weeks. I have just started studying for the GREs and will need to take it in the fall as well. So, I'm facing a dilemma here- I'm concerned that I won't have enough time to do well in the class, but at the same time I know how important the class is for stats admissions (I'm aiming to get into some top 10 and 20 schools for masters). In addition, taking the class would also be an opportunity for me to get a recommendation letter related to stats as right now my potential recommendation letters aren't that strong. Should I just focus on the other parts of my application (GREs and personal statements), or should I try to take the math stats class but potentially not do as well? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!  

Edited by underworked

I am applying for this cycle, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Most Ph.D. and M.S. programs in statistics seem to understand that many incoming students will have limited experience with statistical coursework. Many only require a single statistics class for admission, or just 'exposure',  even in the top 20 range. If you have taken econometrics this may suffice for 'exposure' at some schools. A B or (especially) below in this course could damage your application to some top programs.

You have not commented on your mathematical background, but that will be far more important. Ensure you have strong grades in multivariable calculus and matrix algebra, as well as any other upper level math, and do well on the GRE. Masters programs are becoming increasingly competitive each year, but they are still not extremely challenging to get into, granted you are not aiming for funding. 

In short, take it if you can do well, but don't take it if you can't nail an A, in my opinion.

Also, the sticked post by cyberwulf regarding personal statements may be of use to you: