chances of getting into grad school with really low GRE but good GPA

joeybarua

So I took my GRE today and did horrible almost embarrassing, to be honest, I got 139V and 141Q. I am planning on applying to MPH programs early next year. My schools of choice are GW, BU, Pittsburgh, UNC and GMU. My over undergrad GPA is 3.74 and my major GPA is 3.85. What are my chances of getting into grad school? Am I screwed?!?

Hi joeybarua,

Do the MPH programs that you're interested in applying to list the average GRE scores of recently addmitted applicants?  If so, you should compare your scores to the various programs' mean scores and see how you stack up.  If your GRE scores are, generally, close to or exceed the mean scores listed by a given program, then you probably are in good shape, with respect to the GRE.  Other than that, I'm not familiar with what qualities MPH programs look for in prospective applicants. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Edited by TommySotomayor

On 9/8/2017 at 8:17 PM, joeybarua said:

So I took my GRE today and did horrible almost embarrassing, to be honest, I got 139V and 141Q. I am planning on applying to MPH programs early next year. My schools of choice are GW, BU, Pittsburgh, UNC and GMU. My over undergrad GPA is 3.74 and my major GPA is 3.85. What are my chances of getting into grad school? Am I screwed?!?

If you have until next year, you can definitely study your way into the 150s. Had you studied much this time around? 

I have a friend that matriculated into the UNC MPH program with a high 150s verbal and a low 150s quant score. She had a similar, if not a slightly lower GPA and is an alum of one of the other schools on your list, for reference.