Questions regarding dissertation topics in SOP (Biological Sciences)

Hello everyone,

So I've started looking around to find out how to format my SOP, what to include in it and what not to include in it, and I've come across a variety of suggestions. Generally, I really like the format of "Focus, Fit, Future" that I found on this site. I think it's a great format to use and can be applied to every school I apply to. That being said, there are a few questions I have regarding it. 

I have seen a variety of places state you should try and illustrate your research interests, and a potential research topic you'd be interested in pursuing. Now my confusion is, is this discussing a dissertation? Should you outline the basic focus of your dissertation? I'll put a very brief example of what I mean below following the 3 F format. 

Focus:

I want to focus on protein structure and dynamics using NMR (liquid NMR). Now here I would state the benefits of NMR (answering why NMR), and the importance of structure and dynamics of proteins as related to disease, and why NMR is a good tool for this. However, all of this is very vague. I have not stated any biological systems that I would like to focus on. That would I imagine entail more of a dissertation type topic (e.g. I want to look at the proteins involved in this pathway because it's been shown these proteins cause cancer). This goes back to my first question, should I specify say a certain topic that is studied by someone at that school (the POI research)? And expand on it by stating very briefly my own dissertation in the lab? I'm curious as to how detailed I should get on my focus, also how personal do I make it? Should I explain personal reasons for my interest in the field? As it stands now, it is more of a rant about the importance of structure and dynamics if proteins within drug design and why NMR is great for studying them. 

FIt:

I'd focus on the faculty members that have my interests and the facility they have. A little bit about how great their NMR facility is and how useful it would be for my project focus (again, should I state my specific project focus, or just a vague, it'll be great for elucidating protein structure and dynamics). Going into more detail about my own personal project can also help me detail what about their facility is personally so great. I.e. Say the protein I will be looking at is huge, then having a high frequency NMR would be great!. I'd also discuss their faculty member and how their research interests align with mine. Again, don't know how detailed to get in regards to my project. Should I simply state, well they look at protein structure/dynamics using NMR, so that's what I wanna do, it'll be great. Or should I state (if I stated my dissertation topic earlier), they are studying this biological pathway which is involved in a specific mechanism I want to look at, so they would be the perfect fit for my dissertation. Also, should I discuss the other faculty members research that interests me, and state they have multiple people also working on this as well, so there could be higher chances of collaborations or opportunities, thus making their school and even better fit for me. 

Future: 

This is where I was considering making it more personal. Tell them why I am even interested in studying proteins in the first place. Where do I see my field (protein NMR) going in the future, where do I see myself in it. What other various problems could I tackle, what other mechanisms can I elucidate, what other diseases could I target using the NMR. Basically I was thinking of making this section more personal, why I am even interested in the field of biochemistry, and where I would like to be after this program. 

As you can see, the issue is more of a, how detailed do I make this. Should I include a potential dissertation topic? Is that unrequired or too much? Is it advised or ill-advised? Thank you ahead of time!

Edited by samman1994