Some advice I got

Ozymandias

On one of my on-campus interviews I got a bit of advice from one of the students that I thought I might pass along to others.

If you're in the position where you have to choose between schools (we should be so fortunate) and one offers funding and the other does not, then take the offer with funding. Not for the simple reason of getting money, but for the implications of that offer. It means that school now is going to have a vested interest in your success and you're much less likely to 'slip through the cracks' during the program. It also means that at least one of the people there fought for you to get you that funding. An offer of funding indicates a certain level of excitement that will be valuable beyond just the monetary aspects.

Best of luck to everyone... hopefully those of us who haven't heard will have good news on the way soon.

I have also gotten similar advice...1) with funding, one is less likely to slip through the cracks, and 2) it is much easier to be a good student and do sound research without constantly scrambling for money. and yes, best of luck all around!

Are there people out there who wouldn't choose the funding? ;)

I don't know about choosing no funding, but I did choose less funding (as in, not the best offer in terms of funding) for a better fit. My funding is enough to live reasonably well off of, though, so it's not quite the same.

I don't know about choosing no funding, but I did choose less funding (as in, not the best offer in terms of funding) for a better fit. My funding is enough to live reasonably well off of, though, so it's not quite the same.

That makes perfect sense and given the variation in cost of living from place to place, the generosity of the offer doesn't just boil down to dollar amount. I'd just wonder about someone who would take an unfunded PhD over a funded one. Masochism!

That makes perfect sense and given the variation in cost of living from place to place, the generosity of the offer doesn't just boil down to dollar amount. I'd just wonder about someone who would take an unfunded PhD over a funded one. Masochism!

Agreed.