Applying Without Right LoRs?

I'll be applying to several Comm programs this season, but my background is in anthropology. Although I know no one can say for sure, do you think not having a rec letter from a Comm prof could hurt my chances? Has anyone switched at the grad level and had this problem? How did it work out for you?

1 hour ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

do you think not having a rec letter from a Comm prof could hurt my chances? Has anyone switched at the grad level and had this problem? How did it work out for you?

Could it hurt your chances? Yes, it could. Will it hurt your chances? Harder to know, but to some extent, probably yes. At the very least, your letter writers probably won't be known to your readers, and their word might carry less weight. They might have a harder time comparing you to other (relevant) applicants, because they probably haven't placed that many students in Comm programs. They can't really speak directly to your ability to succeed in an Comm PhD program and perhaps it'd be harder for them to discuss the originality and relevancy of your research ideas since it's in a different field than their expertise. 

What can you do to mitigate the damage? Have explicit conversations with your letter writers, so they can write the most targeted letter possible. Make sure they understand what type of programs you're applying for (you don't want them writing they're sure you'll succeed in an Anthro PhD, for example). Make sure they also understand why you've switched your focus, and what in your current education and path has prepared you to undertake this kind of program. Talk about transferrable skills and traits, and connections between ideas and topics, as much as possible. Tel them about how you ended up with this plan of applying to Comm PhD programs with a degree in Anthro. Help them see how they can help you. There will be many things they can write about that will be relevant for Comm as well as Anthro, including your ability to come up with interesting ideas, your contributions in class, your writing skills, your presentation skills, how you get along with others in a group, your maturity and projected ability to see through a rigorous PhD program. Lots of students switch fields going for their PhD. It is possible to do so with letters from one's old field.

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edit: fixing some Comm/Anthro confusion

1 hour ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I'll be applying to several Comm programs this season, but my background is in anthropology. Although I know no one can say for sure, do you think not having a rec letter from a Comm prof could hurt my chances? Has anyone switched at the grad level and had this problem? How did it work out for you?

As fuzzy stated, my answer is similar. I am going from Chemistry to Biochemistry, but they are relatively related (I don't know how related anthro is with comm). I am personally asking 1 biochemist and 2 chemists for my LOR. The LOR are just to show I am a hard working scientist and student, and am research driven (which is what the schools want). This can be done by both chemists since I did a collaboration with one of them, and the other had a class that was basically a mini-research project in itself. So they have both seen my research skills, and even though they are not in the field of Biochemistry and probably know very little about the field I will be applying for, they should both be able to write a good letter showing that I am a good researcher (which is again, what schools want to see). 

That being said, as fuzzy stated, will it hurt your chances? Hard to say, really depends on what the person reading your LOR is looking for from it, and that varies widely department to department, and even person to person. Luck of the draw really. But the reasons for why it might are as fuzzy stated above. There is one thing I do want to add though, whatever you do, do not go ask someone in Comm that doesn't know you well for a LOR just because you'd think a Comm letter would help. I think having a letter from a someone in anthro who knows you personally (and knows the type of person you are), will be waay more beneficial than a Comm professor you took once who sorta remembers you. So if you're not really close with any Comm professors, I'd so don't go and ask any of them, just improve the letters you already have doing what fuzzy stated above. 

If there is one final thing I would add, I don't know if this is good advice yet or not because I'm personally in the process of finding out how to even write an SOP, but you may want to address this in your SOP. What I mean by that is, explicitly state in you SOP a connection between anthro and communication. Explain the skill set that you have attained from an anthro background, and how that allows you to approach Comm in a unique way. Use this difference in background to your advantage, and demonstrate what you can bring to the table with your unique background. Switching fields doesn't have to be a weakness, it can actually be a strength. If you can find a connection to the field you're coming from, and to the field you're going into, you can demonstrate some particular skills that would be very useful to the field you're going to that Comm majors might lack (since they don't have an anthro background). So basically, let them know you are coming from a different background, but let them know that is a good thing. Therefore, if you lack that Comm letter, it doesn't matter. Have your current LOR focus on these anthro skill sets that you have, that you will be explaining in your SOP. That will not only make you stand out, but it'll also make your anthro LORs look stronger than if you had a Comm LOR.