heterodox MA programs

brendino

I'm hoping to transition from the humanities (I studied literature / liberal arts in undergrad) to economics. I only have a couple economics courses, some social sciences, and a few math courses including calculus on my transcript. I'm looking for a master's program as a step toward a PhD and prioritizing a heterodox curriculum. I've browsed through the Heterodox Economics Directory (http://heterodoxnews.com/hed/study-programs.html) but I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions of programs that might not be included on that list, or any thoughts about the programs that are on that list.

Thanks!

Why do you want to go to a heterodox program? No one will take you seriously.

Also, that list is fairly suspect. Like, the Levy Institute has a Minsky problem, but you can also go there, take the standard classes, and graduate as a relevant empirical economist. Likewise, Amherst is presumably mostly on there because they have a lot of people doing history of econ and suchlike. Most of the undergrad programs are there because they have, like, that one crazy professor, but the rest of the faculty is fine. Like, why is WPI on that list? Why is Conn College? Why is Simmons?

In general most of the programs on that list (speaking to American ones) are just low-ranked and therefore have some questionable faculty. Heterodox economics isn't really a thing in America.

Edited by ExponentialDecay

• 2 months later...