How to Redevelop Relationships with Advisors?

vtgrad

Question

I need 2 academic references for my dream Ivy League, however, I have all but entirely lost my connections with my professors since graduating in 2010. I do have a positive relationship with my University Provost and President, but having never completed a thesis or doing research, my references are limited.  During my final semester my mother was diagnosed with a terminal illness that plunged me into a deep depression - as well as my GPA to a 2.96.  I'm now a senior advisor to the US Senate - so I've done well professionally - but that won't do much for references however.  I'm struggling with how to obtain academic references when those relationships no longer exist.  

Does anyone have suggestions about reforge those connections, or experience with a similar scenario?

Thank you!

Edited by vtgrad

2 answers to this question

I removed your other, 4-hour-old, basically identical question from the board. Please don't cross-post, certainly not this quickly. 

The short answer is that you simply write those professors who are potential writers and straightforwardly explain the situation. You can connect by meeting in person if possible, or on skype otherwise, and you can (and should) provide them with all the information you can that they could use to write a letter for you, assuming they agree. But before you do that, I would recommend reaching out to the ivy school in question and asking if it's possible to replace those letters they ask for with ones that are more current, since the letters you can get from professors will be from people who knew you at least 7 years ago. It's very possible that they'll be more interested in other, more current letters, either as supplements or replacements.