Thoughts on Post-bacc programs?

ari1234

What are your thoughts on Post-bacc programs for Anthropology? I know Columbia and UPenn for example offer Post-baccalaureate Studies/ Graduate Foundations programs for non-med disciplines such as Anthropology. I am wondering if it is worth it to pursue for someone like me, who is interested in pursuing an MA in Anthropology but has never taken an Anthro class in my life.

Hi! I have a friend in anthropology who did a post-bacc program before entering a PhD program, and she found it really useful. I think they're a good move if you don't necessarily have a strong background in anthropology and would like to build some foundation and maybe get some research experience. My friend had done her BA in Communication and worked full-time for about 5 years then decided she wanted to go into anthropology. She did one or two field schools and the post-bacc program (usually they're 1-2 years I believe) and then applied to PhD programs and got into a few great schools.

The one thing I'm not so sure about is funding---I don't believe post-bacc programs offer assistantships or other financial assistance, but there may be some out there that do! I would also suggest thinking about your research interests before choosing a program. For example, UPenn has a post-bacc program in Classics, so there are some out there that are tailored to specific interests. Also, you might consider the MAPSS program at UChicago--it's a one year intensive social sciences degree that is usually a good start to gain research experience and build your resume/CV for either PhD programs or a new career.