Saying thank you for an admission offer

hairu

Guys,

I was just admitted to one of the programs I applied to with funding info pending. They said we haven't made decisions on funding yet, we'll let you know once they're final.

Since funding decisions are crucial for me to study at a doctoral program, I wanted to give an impression I really need it, so, I wrote a thank you note to the director of the program

and said...

" I'd like to thank you for the offer. Indeed, I am very happy to be admitted to one of the most prestigious programs in the field. I am so excited!"

Then, I got a reply from the professor,

"We're excited too having you as a new student, the funding decisions will be made sonn."

Well, I hope they didn't take it as my acceptance of their offer. I haven't made my decision yet. Since several other schools haven't notified me of their results, yet.

What do you think? Did I give a wrong impression?

Edited by hairu

It sounds to me like you were saying that you will be going there. And the reply sounds like they also think that as well. I don't see many emails from schools, so I'm probably wrong.

Edited by joro

I've received quite a few emails that end with something along the lines of, "We look forward to welcoming you in the fall/working with you/etc." It's just a social thing - it doesn't mean they think you've accepted, they're just expressing their strong interest/optimism. I get similar emails at work from job applicants saying things like, "I look forward to joining your firm," etc.

Hey,

In general the acceptance to a PhD program HAS to be official, either through the application's site or a letter. An informal email does not constitute an official acceptance. It is exactly the same thing when they send you an offer of admission, until you receive a letter from the Dean, nothing is official.

Enjoy!

Seb

Guys,

I was just admitted to one of the programs I applied to with funding info pending. They said we haven't made decisions on funding yet, we'll let you know once they're final.

Since funding decisions are crucial for me to study at a doctoral program, I wanted to give an impression I really need it, so, I wrote a thank you note to the director of the program

and said...

" I'd like to thank you for the offer. Indeed, I am very happy to be admitted to one of the most prestigious programs in the field. I am so excited!"

Then, I got a reply from the professor,

"We're excited too having you as a new student, the funding decisions will be made sonn."

Well, I hope they didn't take it as my acceptance of their offer. I haven't made my decision yet. Since several other schools haven't notified me of their results, yet.

What do you think? Did I give a wrong impression?

I think it's no hurt so far. Anyway, you just said that your are happy to "be admitted", rather than any word about your decision.

However, as I always wanna play it safe, I would not leave and space for wrong impression if I were you. I do write to the schools to say thanks, but I also always added something such as "although my decision has not been made yet, the admission is really exciting". If I wanted to let them know the importance of funding for me (although I really doubt that they don't know it), I would just say "as funding is a very important concern of mine, please let me know immediately once the funding decision is available."

Hope this helps.