MA International Affairs in Europe

alexma63

Hello,

I am a graduate student from Ottawa, ON, Canada currently studying my Masters in Social Work at Carleton University (BA with Hons, Psych). 

Since developing a strong interest in international human rights, health and social policy during my studies, I have decided to apply to programs in International Relations (IR) and International Human Rights Law, LLM. I am interested in these degrees to add international knowledge to the issues that I have already studied. I am planning to apply in Europe for multiple reasons but the main two reasons being that I believe it's a great place to do an international studies degree and I've always wanted to live in Europe. 

That all being said I have a few questions and am looking for advice:

1. University recommendations. I would like to know if anyone has had an exceptionally positive experience anywhere in Europe with this type of study. Currently I plan to apply to Kent, Essex, Norwegian University of Life Sciences as well as a few schools in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone has had exceptionally positive experiences or could recommend a program. Essex looks like my ideal university given the course content. Does likelihood of employment vary for the LLM vs MA in IR in your experience (if you happen to be familiar with both)? I am interested in doing policy analysis for a large NGO (e.g. UN, WHO) or a government body like the EU.

2. When to apply. I am slightly confused about the best time to apply for the programs in the UK. Most are do sometime in July of next year. Despite this, I have been told that it is to my advantage to apply ASAP... Starting in April of next year I plan on doing an internship working with implementing United Nations health goals at a national level in Canada. I just don't know if I should wait until that practicum site is confirmed next February so I can write about on my statement of interest or if I should just mention it as a future plan and apply ASAP.

3. Scholarships/funding. In Norway I know that the education is free but I also know it is certainly not in the UK. And of I have to consider living expenses as well.... I know there are student lines of cred it that I can get. But in terms of funding, are there certain scholarships I should definitely apply for? I would like to get as much of my degree/living expenses covered as possible. 

Thank you for any advice anyone can give! This is a lot to take on while still completing another masters but I wouldn't like to hold off another year if possible. 

Cheers,

Alex

• 1 month later...

France: Science Po, they also have Campus France Scholarships that are need-based, not merit-based for French and EU citizens.

Germany: Hertie School of Governance, offers some good scholarships and Berlin is cheaper than most Western cities.

Hungary: Central European University, a U.S. and Hungarian accreditated university (with a charter from the NY State). Has amazing scholarships that include full tuition waiver, housing in the CEU Residence Center with single-occupancy rooms and partial and full stipends that cover the basic expenses for Budapest.

Italy: European University Institute, based in Florence, is a university founded and financed by the EU. They say that the people that graduate from this university are the future intelectual elite of the EU.

15 hours ago, Marius G said:

Italy: European University Institute, based in Florence, is a university founded and financed by the EU. They say that the people that graduate from this university are the future intelectual elite of the EU.

Who says? I've certainly never heard of it.

OP, why Europe? Is it just the fees? Do you have any connection to the region? I ask because, for IR graduates without EU work permission, the visa situation can hard - particularly so in the case of someone with no professional network or relevant skills/experience. Anyway, in the UK, consider UCL/LSE, if you have the grades. The Graduate Institute for Development Studies Geneva (IHEID) is also very reputable. These are all expensive options (as is Hertie in Berlin, btw - they charge US-level tuition fees). A cheaper option would be Bocconi in Milan. Look also at the schools in Barcelona and Madrid. I've heard good things about Baltic-area schools (e.g. U of Tallinn), but no personal experience.

btw, the UN and WHO are not NGOs - they are IOs, or multilateral governmental organizations. NGOs are non-governmental organizations (e.g. Amnesty International, Oxfam). 

On 11/12/2017 at 1:59 AM, Marius G said:

France: Science Po, they also have Campus France Scholarships that are need-based, not merit-based for French and EU citizens.

Germany: Hertie School of Governance, offers some good scholarships and Berlin is cheaper than most Western cities.

Hungary: Central European University, a U.S. and Hungarian accreditated university (with a charter from the NY State). Has amazing scholarships that include full tuition waiver, housing in the CEU Residence Center with single-occupancy rooms and partial and full stipends that cover the basic expenses for Budapest.

I can second that Science Po and Hertie are really good options.  I would also recommend University of St. Gallen in Switzerland.  It is slanted towards quant/econ courses, and is incredibly affordable (although Swiss visas are difficult after graduation, especially if you don't speak German.)  I have also heard good things about the EUI, but like College of Europe in Bruges, if you aren't European, you miss out on a lot of the jobs the school feeds into.  IHEID is also very well-respected; but tuition is high and living in Geneva is not cheap.