Could someone please judge my Argument essay?

panickingGREtestee

Hi everyone :D

I'd be really thankful if somebody could judge my essay. I'd be happy to read your text (if you are taking the test as well).

Thanks a lot! (Btw do you think it is too short? Approx 320 words.)

Here goes my essay:

Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent success with call-in advice programming, and citing a nationwide survey indicating that many radio listeners are quite interested in such programs, the station manager of KICK in Medway recommends that KICK include more call-in advice programs in an attempt to gain a larger audience share in its listening area.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The manager of the radio station KICK intends to increase the audience share in their listening area but fails in creating a sound argument for following the actions of WCQP radio station.

To begin with the station manager argues that WCQP's audience share has increased because of their increasing number of call-in advice programs. This assumption disregards any impact other management choices of WCQP may have had. For example they may have, in addition to increasing the call-in advice programs, raised their investment in marketing. Which may have increased the number of people aware of the radio station.

Additionally WCQP's change happened two years ago, while this type of radio program may have been popular during that time this may have changed. There is no guarantee that the audience is still interested in this type of program. Not only does the time impact the results of the change the region is also an important factor to consider. Rockville's and Medway's population my be completely different. For example Rockville could be a town with a large percentage of retired people and families. If in that case Medway mainly had a population of students and young professionals their interests would be significantly different. The author does not discuss this point at all.

The authors introduction of a nationwide study,citing great interest in this type of programs brings up a large amount of questions about the study. Neither the number of participants nor the demographic or the authority which conducted that survey is mentioned. Assuming that the number of people did not exceed 100 people and the questioned individuals were all pensioners. The result of the survey would be irrelevant for KICK's decision making as it did not cover a large enough or varying enough set of people.

As a result, given the argument that the station manager provided one cannot confidently say that radio station KICK should introduce more call-in advice programs as his recommendation is not sufficiently backed up.