Hey fellow coffee drinkers!

I am currently applying for MSW programs (USC, BU, Columbia) and am experiencing an internal battle on whether I should go for a Macro Program or a Micro program. I have a BA in Psychology and Economics and have been working in a venture philanthropy fund for the last two years doing research on high impact organizations. I am quite aware that with a background like that, I should be going into Macro due to all the management/organizational level experience. The reason I am getting my MSW  though is because I want to work more directly with beneficiaries. My question is, can I do a Macro program (leveraging my work experience and reinforcing it), and end up focusing on Micro post degree (if I fall in love working with individuals in that capacity)?

If anybody has come across any problems with choosing one over the other, and regretted it at some capacity afterwards, please share :)

Thank you!

I would say it would be a lot easier to move to macro level work (especially with experience in the area) after completing a micro level track than vice versa.

Because a lot of MSW programs are for "advance generalists" you complete most of the same coursework regardless of micro or macro track although there will be a few classes that are different. In my experience this is why your field placements are so important because it sets the tone for your future practice. One of the things employers looked at when I was job hunting right out of school was my field placements and making sure those aligned with the job I was seeking (therapist).  If you do a macro track then your placements will be macro placements so trying to get a micro job might be more difficult without that direct experience the placements are suppose to provide.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but might be harder especially if people with a micro level focus are applying for the same jobs as you.

I hear it is harder to go from macro to micro but easier the other way around. You could probably get general counseling jobs that don't require LCSW licensure but most therapy jobs will require the training that you'll get from your MSW field placements. Some programs offer management certificates, which could be useful to look into.

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2017 at 4:21 PM, GrkSWorker said:

Hey fellow coffee drinkers!

I am currently applying for MSW programs (USC, BU, Columbia) and am experiencing an internal battle on whether I should go for a Macro Program or a Micro program. I have a BA in Psychology and Economics and have been working in a venture philanthropy fund for the last two years doing research on high impact organizations. I am quite aware that with a background like that, I should be going into Macro due to all the management/organizational level experience. The reason I am getting my MSW  though is because I want to work more directly with beneficiaries. My question is, can I do a Macro program (leveraging my work experience and reinforcing it), and end up focusing on Micro post degree (if I fall in love working with individuals in that capacity)?

If anybody has come across any problems with choosing one over the other, and regretted it at some capacity afterwards, please share :)

Thank you!

I'm in the midst of my MSW. In my program, macro students get a few clinical courses but nothing that will prepare you for strict clinical work. Similarly, clinical students receive a few courses in Macro (Basic Macro, Advanced Policy regarding concentration). If you go macro, clinical skills are good to have because a Macro SW will inevitably deal with individuals. It may be peers, employees, or community members. You'll need certain interviewing skills to be able to do macro work. For the clinician, you'll need macro knowledge to understand clients within their environment.