Did ANYONE get into Upenn Annenberg?

That was me. I was told they got over 400 applications and accepted 20. The funding info I was given was consistent with what I'd found online. That's about all I know; I'm supposed to be getting a letter with more details soon. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!

I didn't apply, but I'm an undergrad at Penn, and if it makes anyone feel better, one of the professors on the graduate committee said they had well over 500 applicants this year but funding for 15 students. They also have a really good admitted student yield.

= not a great admit rate

Congrats to those who managed to get in.

Congratulations to both of you. Can you say more about your experience etc? Do you have existing relationships with the faculty there? I am thinking about reapplying for next year and would love to know what I can do to find the fit.

Yes, I do. I've been in contact with my potential advisor for two years (it's been a long process). I'm probably an outlier in that, though. I also have very specific work experience that was apparently of interest to them. I don't want to give too many details and out myself, but I think I just happened to have the right skill set/background at the right time--and an in with the right faculty member. Good luck if you reapply--next year might be the year you're a perfect fit!

Yes, I do. I've been in contact with my potential advisor for two years (it's been a long process). I'm probably an outlier in that, though. I also have very specific work experience that was apparently of interest to them. I don't want to give too many details and out myself, but I think I just happened to have the right skill set/background at the right time--and an in with the right faculty member. Good luck if you reapply--next year might be the year you're a perfect fit!

Wow, congratulations. You must be so excited--good luck with your work in the fall!

Funny, I considered myself outlier because I didn't contact any of the professors at UPenn, mainly because the professor I admired the most had been on a sabbatical.

As for myself, I worked for a good nine years before coming to grad school - yeah, I'm pretty old. Attended a non-US university and also had lowish GPA. However, I think I had great recommendations from professors I worked with, and tried to emphasize that, although I've worked for the last 9 years, I'm passionate about research.

Best of luck to everyone!

Funny, I considered myself outlier because I didn't contact any of the professors at UPenn, mainly because the professor I admired the most had been on a sabbatical.

As for myself, I worked for a good nine years before coming to grad school - yeah, I'm pretty old. Attended a non-US university and also had lowish GPA. However, I think I had great recommendations from professors I worked with, and tried to emphasize that, although I've worked for the last 9 years, I'm passionate about research.

Best of luck to everyone!

That is helpful and you raise a point I was wondering about myself. I have quite a bit of professional experience -- about 12 years (really old) at national organizations, plus pubs, dozens of presentations etc. I had contacted a couple profs whose work I was following who seemed very interested. I thought it would be a good thing (like I have figured out that research is what I want to do) but I am wondering now if you can have too much professional experience? In fairness, my GREs were only so-so, but grades, experience, recs were all solid.

Thanks for sharing your info. It takes away some of the stress of this whole process talking to others who have been through it too!