How do I overcome a bad cGPA, even though I may finish my last 60 credits strong?

NeedAdvice123

Question

Hi all,

I started at a top 15 undergrad institution back in 2010. I was set for graduation in 2014 with an engineering degree. I started off ok, finishing my sophomore year with a 3.2. But the end of my sophomore year spelled disaster for me. In a string of unfortunate events, my parents' were getting divorced, my mom lost her job, and I was going through a bunch of personal things. I grew constantly on edge and didn't know where to turn for help. I pretty much gave up and let myself slide. I ended up straight bombing the next 3 semesters, and didn't even finish my first semester of senior year. My cGPA at the end of that ordeal was below a 2.5.

When I left school, I had no work experience-- zero. That was back in the winter of 2013. For the next two and a half years, I was pretty depressed, gained a ton of weight, couldn't get out of bed, etc. as I saw all my friends graduate and go off to do great things. I lost contact with all of them. For some time, I just left home, because things were too stressful over there. I became homeless for periods of time and depended on handouts from my family for just food. 

But by 2016, I had started working. At first, I just had a few crap jobs to keep food on the table and pay for rent. Eventually, I turned it into something more and now I have several positions on my resume that are legitimate and relevant to my field. I saved up enough money and my mom eventually started her own business. After taking out some loans, I was able to re-enter for Fall 2017. My first semester back has taken some time getting adjusted. But, I found a job at a non-University affiliated start-up and have a position at a genetics lab. 

My question is, I eventually want to apply for grad school and get an M. Eng. I have about 3 semesters of undergrad left (considering all the courses I had failed and dropped previously). If I somehow manage to raise my GPA to a 3.0, which is doable, but difficult in the next 3 semesters, is there any way I can address my past on my applications? What about when I apply to internships? Can I put an asterisk near my GPA and write a note on the bottom saying my last 60 credits I have about a 3.7? 

5 answers to this question

Your transcript will be part of the package, so the trend will be obvious to anyone who looks. 

You might persuade your referees to make a brief mention of the earlier years their letters: that what they know of you is very good, now that you've come through a difficult period, etc.   If you need some more confidence, take a non-degree course or two somewhere else after graduation and blow those out of the water, just to convince the skeptical that you're on a good track. 

Good luck.  One of the worst parts of depression is believing that you'll never escape.  Not true!  Sounds like you already have, so take pride in your achievements.  

Edited by Concordia

Thanks for the words of encouragement! 

But when it comes time to apply for a legitimate internship over the summer, would I be able to address the glaring gap on my resume and the poor overall gpa? Or will their filtering software just see my sub-3.0 and take me out altogether? I know different companies have different hiring practices, but I was hoping to hear peoples' perspectives on this.

Unfortunately, no. I don't think my major GPA will be much higher. When I did decently, I did decently across the board. When I failed, I failed indiscriminately. I've built up something of a professional network. I know two professors who might be able to vouch for me. The trouble is, when I'm applying for jobs and internships, I would think I need to know someone who actually works in that company to get my resume through, no? 

No idea.  The last time I applied for a job, it was out of business school, where someone had to read my resume (and what I chose to put on it).   There would also have been calls to faculty members before the interview list was drawn up.

Edited by Concordia