Can I wait until 3 weeks before my first app is due to take the GRE?

kerralyne

While GRE says that your scores are sent to your chosen schools 10-15 days after you take the exam, one of my potential schools (U of Washington) states on their website that GRE scores can take 6-8 weeks to arrive. I feel like that must be outdated information.

Regardless, is it "safe" to wait to take the GRE until a few weeks before your first application is due? I'm looking at a December 15th deadline, and taking the exam on November 21st. Is that cutting it too close? I really need all the time I can get to study, especially while juggling my undergraduate thesis and statements of intent simultaneously. I'd love to hear how you all have scheduled it. I think I might be crazy for wanting to take it so close to my first deadline, but I should mention I can't afford to take the exam more than once anyway.

I got my scores within 3 weeks. Check with UW and see if they will accept temporary self-reported scores (minus the AW) for the application and allow you to submit an amendment with your full scores once it's ready. UW was my first deadline too. It caught me by surprise, the listed deadline was Jan 6 but the real deadline for international students like me was Dec 1. I found this out on Nov 28!! I had took the Physics GRE on Nov 12 of that year and scores were not going to be available until Dec 12. I asked them if I could submit my scores later and the department was fine with it since they won't review the applications until January anyways. 

So, if UW is the only school that is cutting it close, just ask them first. There might be nothing to worry about if they are willing to accept your GRE scores a few days after the deadline. If not, then you could consider rescheduling to an earlier date just to avoid the stress, but on the other hand, if UW isn't your top choice, it might not be worth missing out on the days to study since the GRE scores affect your other applications too.

It should be fine. Most schools will allow you to submit your unofficial scores and if you are taking the computerized GRE, UW will have your scores before the deadline. By the time they actually get around to reviewing applications, your scores should be in the office. - Admissions Track