Do Data Science and Analytics masters programs possess breadth at the expense of depth?

Hi everyone

I've worked as an analyst for 3 years and am fascinated by the application of statistics and related sophisticated algorithms by tech firms to drive business value. I want to deepen my knowledge base of the same via higher education.

While researching programs, it appears to me that Analytics and Data science programs are sort of general purpose and don't go quite deep into the subject matter. Due to this I've been considering Statistics / Operations Research / Management Sci MS programs.

Thoughts?

• 1 year later...

(I know this question is 2 years old but I find it relevant)

I agree that more general tools come at the expense of depth. Statistics and Operations Research seem to be exploring problems in much greater depth. However, the length of the program in terms of time and credits is important too. I can make some comments based on my time at Cornell since I took courses across different departments if anyone is still interested.