Stafford Loan and Summer

Casual_Bongos

My apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm going to be doing a full time summer semester this year and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with future financials. Up until now I've been paying out of pocket but I'm looking to get financial aid for my last 3 semesters (Spring 2018, Summer 2018, and Fall 2018).

I've already qualified for $10,250 on the Stafford loan for Spring 2018 and I expect to get $10,250 for Fall 2018. I did not take a Stafford loan for Fall 2017 nor will I take one for Spring 2019 (I'm graduating next Fall).

My question is . . . can I get a Direct Stafford loan for Summer 2018?

I e-mailed my financial aid asking and got the generic "You can get a max of $20,500 for Fall and Spring. Please try out higher percentage rate loans for your additional needs." reply, which did not answer my question as to whether or not I could get it for Summer if I don't hit the $20,500 max.

I know the max is $20,500 a year but I'm not 100% clear on what months the "year" counts as. Does it reset in July? (ie for the 2017 - 2018 FAFSA year I will only take $10,250 (Spring 2018), but for the 2018-2019 I'll take $20,500 (Summer 2018 and Fall 2018)) Or is it a year starting from the date they actually first pay out the school loan (ie Jan 2018 - December 2019) and therefore I will not be able to use it for the Summer?

Thanks!

Edited by Casual_Bongos

I can't answer the question fully, but I can tell you about my experience.  I got a Direct Stafford for Summer 2015.  I had to be enrolled at least half-time to get an adequate amount of money for the term.  I remember expecting ~$20k, but wound up getting $14k.  I can't recall the cause of that discrepancy, but I do believe you can get $20k for the summer term depending on the number of credits you register for (and still get the max for Fall & Spring).  Hope this helps. 

You should really speak to the head of financial aid at your school; don't just talk to the person answering the phone.