Chances for Top Schools - Fulbright

Josh Thompson

Hi Everyone, I really appreciate the advice. I am planning to apply this cycle for programing starting in Fall 2018. I am wondering whether I am competitive for schools like Harvard, Stanford, and Upenn? I am currently abroad on a Fulbright research grant doing stem cell and regenerative medicine research.

Undergrad Institution: Top 30 private school
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.56
Overall GPA: 3.64
Position in Class: top 15%
Type of Student: domestic, white male
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
157, 157, 5.0

Research Experience: 

Fulbright Scholarship for one year of molecular biology and stem cell research

3 co-authored publications, and poster presentation at 3 conferences (two internationally)

REU at home university - poster presentation

3 years of research experience + 1 year on Fulbright before applying to graduate programs 

Senior thesis defense (30 page thesis and defense in front of 3 person committee)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Fulbright Scholar/REU/smaller research grant from home university

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA for organic chemistry (three years) 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
One rec letter from PI, and two others from biology faculty at my home university

Your GPA and GRE are much, much lower than my friends who are doing biology PhDs at Harvard, Stanford and UPenn. Not a biologist or that across admissions, so I don't have a worthwhile perspective on how likely the research piece will push you across the line. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 5:53 AM, lemma said:

Your GPA and GRE are much, much lower than my friends who are doing biology PhDs at Harvard, Stanford and UPenn. Not a biologist or that across admissions, so I don't have a worthwhile perspective on how likely the research piece will push you across the line. 

Do admissions still place importance on GRE score? I see some schools start to list GRE as optional for PhD program.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 5:53 AM, lemma said:

For what it's worth, my uGPA was about the same as yours and I'm at Harvard. So there are many factors at play and I'd say it's always worth throwing down a few reach apps :)