Fall 2018 Applications - Art History

NonFinito

Question

Hi All!

I've been slogging through past threads of applicants for Art History and thought it was time we created a current thread for this year's applicants.

Currently seeking advice from those who are looking at various Master / PhD Art History / Curatorial / Museum Studies programs -- what criteria are you using to impact your decisions?

Some background: I am primarily interested in MA programs (particularly funded!) in Art History or Curatorial Studies. I am also highly interested in IFA's joint degree in Conservation and Art History. Any insight for these in particular is very welcome!

Please feel free to post advice / application anxieties here!

2 answers to this question

Woohoo!!! I'll finally be tagging along in this group of apps!  I'm so excited!  I'm a little different from you in that I'm mainly looking at PhD programs, but there are a few good MA programs on my list, as well.

My main focus on schools (more or less in order of importance) have been:

1. available faculty in my area of interest

2. funding options and packages

2. availability and openness to interdisciplinary research (also if they're only academic vs. mainly curatorial programs)

3. location/support system for research (I.e., quality of library, relationship with local museums and galleries, travel stipends, etc.)

4. teaching responsibilities/availability of teaching opportunities

5. prestige of the program (this is definitely the last thing I'm looking at)

How is your shortlist coming along?  Mine started at about 25, and its down to 10-12 at the moment.  I'm hoping to actually apply to 8 as long as I can save up enough for application fees! (yikes some of these places are expensive!)  Have you attended any open houses or conducted any college visits?  That's what I'm currently working on.

I've got enough anxiety for forty applicants, I think!  I have a penchant for self-deprecation and paralyzing insecurities so this process has been a difficult one for me, regardless of the strength of my background.  It's definitely been a learning experience thus far but I'm looking forward to seeing how much farther I can grow in the next few months as deadlines start rolling through!

On 10/23/2017 at 7:33 PM, NonFinito said:

Hi All!

I've been slogging through past threads of applicants for Art History and thought it was time we created a current thread for this year's applicants.

Currently seeking advice from those who are looking at various Master / PhD Art History / Curatorial / Museum Studies programs -- what criteria are you using to impact your decisions?

Some background: I am primarily interested in MA programs (particularly funded!) in Art History or Curatorial Studies. I am also highly interested in IFA's joint degree in Conservation and Art History. Any insight for these in particular is very welcome!

Please feel free to post advice / application anxieties here!

Also, you may want to check out the Art History-specific forum.  There's a thread about this in there as well! https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/66-art-history/