Ambiguous message, sketchy email?

imean

One of the schools I am applying to, and actually one of the ones I'm most interested in, emailed me the following message yesterday morning:

My name is (Name) and I am the graduate assistant/recruiter for the Department of Counseling and Human Services at (School). I was asked to email you and let you know that we have received your application. We are in the process of setting up interview dates and will be contacting you in the near future to set up an interview day.

I'm concerned about two things. Should I interpret the email to say that I will be given an interview? Since it says they'll contact me to set up a date? Or could it be saying that the application has been received, and I could, maybe get an interview since they are setting up appointments? I'm obviously reading too much into this but you all probably understand. Also, the email address I received this from was actually a hotmail account, not an .edu account, which I find extremely weird! Any ideas or suggestions as to how to take this and what to do? Thanks!

One of the schools I am applying to, and actually one of the ones I'm most interested in, emailed me the following message yesterday morning:

My name is (Name) and I am the graduate assistant/recruiter for the Department of Counseling and Human Services at (School). I was asked to email you and let you know that we have received your application. We are in the process of setting up interview dates and will be contacting you in the near future to set up an interview day.

I'm concerned about two things. Should I interpret the email to say that I will be given an interview? Since it says they'll contact me to set up a date? Or could it be saying that the application has been received, and I could, maybe get an interview since they are setting up appointments? I'm obviously reading too much into this but you all probably understand. Also, the email address I received this from was actually a hotmail account, not an .edu account, which I find extremely weird! Any ideas or suggestions as to how to take this and what to do? Thanks!

If I were you, I would doubt the verity of this message. A sure way to confirm its authenticity is to give the Department a call and ascertain things for yourself.

Goodluck!

• 3 weeks later...

Check with the Department and verify its legitimacy. Very weird to get anything legit from a hotmail address. Perhaps you can search for the name of the person on the school's website??? It's bound to show up somewhere if he's actually an employee.

Agreed, nothing legit ever comes from hotmail lol...

Agreed, nothing legit ever comes from hotmail lol...

I was accepted into a sociology program at a top private university... and the direct of graduate studies sent all of his emails to me from a gmail account (I've been called and I visited, etc. The emails are legit). He even wrote his name in the "from" part with all lower-case letters. You shouldn't automatically be sketched out.

He did have a signature line indicating his position and affiliation though.

Edited by jacib

Was rejected by Yale recently ...

but got this line in refusal letter

If you are considering possibly reapplying during the next admissions season, please feel free to email us at mba.admissions@yale.edu in June 2010 for feedback on your application.

What kind of feedback they are talking about? :unsure:

They will most likely discuss what they perceived to be the major weaknesses in your application and perhaps even suggest ways to improve for next year. If you're considering reapplying I would definitely take them up on it! Many schools will not give out such feedback when asked, let alone offer it up on a silver platter like that.

They will most likely discuss what they perceived to be the major weaknesses in your application and perhaps even suggest ways to improve for next year. If you're considering reapplying I would definitely take them up on it! Many schools will not give out such feedback when asked, let alone offer it up on a silver platter like that.

I most definitely concur.

I most definitely concur.

thanx guys )