GRE Cutoffs

deutsch1997bw

I am currently applying to PhD programs in political science. I recently submitted an application to Northwestern University's PhD program. Here is the department's note about GRE scores: "Anything below 600 (old version) or 160/148 (new version Verbal/Quantitative) means the likelihood of admission is low." 

My verbal score is 162 (two above the required) and my quantitative score is 148. While my verbal score is fine, my quantitative score is exactly at the cutoff point. Do you think that the program will look at all applications that meet the GRE score requirements, even if one barely meets them?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not in your field, but I assume that when they say "anything below x" significantly lowers your chances, that means that x is in the range of acceptable scores to that program.  Are you as competitive to the university as someone with a ~165 on that section, all other factors being equal?  Of course not, but programs in the humanities/social sciences already have a pretty low threshold for quant scores and it's a pretty good indicator of the relative importance of that factor in their decision-making process.

Your scores aren't going to blow them away, but if the rest of your application is solid I think you'll be competitive despite being on the lower end of their accepted quant scores.  Just make sure the rest of your application package shines as much as possible!

Edited by fortsibut

I'll say a few things about this. First, the obvious: it's important to keep in mind that the GRE is a relatively minor component of the grad school application process. Letters of rec, transcripts, research history, essays etc. all receive more attention from admissions committees. If your application is superb in all areas aside from the GRE (where your score is also pretty solid), you should feel pretty good about your chances. 

But to answer your question more directly, it sort of depends on what Northwestern means when it specifies a "minimum score." It could be either of two things: it could be that the pool of admitted students historically has not frequently scored below that minimum, but it also could be that that is the point at which the admissions committee at Northwestern forms doubts about an applicant's ability to engage in PhD-level work. Obviously the latter would imply the former, but if it's only the former that is true, then I think your chances aren't particularly negatively affected by having scored near the bubble. Even the latter's being true isn't a death knell if other parts of your application are truly exceptional. 

With all of that said, if it is the case that you could succeed in a PhD program (in any discipline) at Northwestern, then it's also likely the case that you can score quite a bit higher than 148 on GRE-Quant if you had time and other resources at your disposal to prepare. If you find yourself in a position where re-taking the GRE is feasible and you think you can score around 155 or so, I would give that some consideration. 

Best of luck to you! Just know that, even if Northwestern doesn't accept you, you will surely get into another great program and thrive :) 

Hello guys! Thanks for nice discussion. I have some advices for you. When working with texts, pay special attention to the formulation of questions. Remember that in the GRE test a lot of words are used in specific values. For example, the verb "critique" in the formulation of a question means not to "critique", but to "analyze" or "evaluate". Also, "qualify" often means not "qualifying", but "limiting value". The adjective "singular" is often used in the sense of "outstanding".  You will be able to find more at http://writemyessay.pro/write-my-english-essay/ blog.