Is Paleoanthropology right for me?

Hi everyone, 

I'm an undergraduate student in Canada. I have been studying sociology because I originally believed that I wanted to work in this field, but over the past few years I have become increasingly interested in anthropology, specifically human origins! Never in my life have I been so captivated by anything, and I spent this past summer doing as much reading on the topic as I possibly could. I am going to change my major to anthropology so that I can complete an honours degree with a specialization (i.e., undergraduate thesis) in something pertaining to human origins. Currently, my GPA is ~3.9/4.3, and I am more than willing to put in the work to maintain this average (or something like it) while studying anthropology. 

Does anyone have any advice for someone hoping to pursue a masters and (hopefully) eventually a PhD in paleoanthropology? What kinds of things can I be doing now to prepare myself and or better my chances of having success being accepted to graduate programs in this field? Are programs offered in Canada (I am yet to find much), or will I be required to go abroad? Finally, what GPA is generally appropriate to shoot for if one wishes to enter a masters program in this area? 

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you! :) 

20 hours ago, PsychedelicExplorer said:

What kinds of things can I be doing now to prepare myself and or better my chances of having success

Do a field school! Having field experience will really help. When I did mine, I was an undergrad and ended up getting all costs covered (flight, field school cost, etc) - so look into that too.