UPenn Complit

Hey, so I gather that a few others on the results board, I gather a few of you are in the same position I am with UPenn (accepted with an uncertain funding offer). Does anybody know how big the program is? And what is the deal with the waitlist - are we waiting for fully funded people to turn Penn down, or are we waiting for the dean to give the green light for a few more grad students?

This is almost more frustrating than a normal wait list. I can't go *anywhere* that doesn't offer me funding. Who do they think they are playing with my heart like this??

Hey, so I gather that a few others on the results board, I gather a few of you are in the same position I am with UPenn (accepted with an uncertain funding offer). Does anybody know how big the program is? And what is the deal with the waitlist - are we waiting for fully funded people to turn Penn down, or are we waiting for the dean to give the green light for a few more grad students?

This is almost more frustrating than a normal wait list. I can't go *anywhere* that doesn't offer me funding. Who do they think they are playing with my heart like this??

Hey,

So I have no clue about the waitlist (totally agree on the fact that it is frustrating), but I do know the program is great. I took classes there and really enjoyed it, it's a very strong comp lit program.

Hope they don't keep you waiting too long, & good luck !

So, counting UPenn, I'm on two wait lists now. I'm constantly really tightly wound with all this uncertainty (and I'm a tightly wound person as it is!) and am developing this compulsive exercise disorder because I'm so charged with nervous energy all the time. What makes the UPenn wait list more frustrating than my other wait list is that UPenn is offering to pay for a campus visit and to introduce me to professors and students as though I were a normal admitted PhD candidate and I, being a chump, will probably take them up on it, and I'm very much afraid of being he who gave all his heart and lost. The funny thing is, I also have a two acceptances at wonderful programs, and I feel like a greedy bastard for even caring about UPenn, but this decision is hard enough as it is and I want to turn down the school(s) I'm going to turn down as soon as possible so that other people suffering on wait lists might get a little relief (and a modicum of certainty for myself would also be nice).

Anyway, since it seems like the other two people in UPenn limbo with me are on the results board, and since I know I have even more Leidensgenossen at other schools and in other programs on other wait lists, here's a link for the waiting song I'm listening to. I hope you guys like Brazilian music. There's a very nice line: "The wait is difficult, but while I wait I dream" (another version of the song has "while I wait I samba"):

I just can't get it. So does that mean that if you have been accepted without funding, you are basically on a waiting list and your admission is not confirmed yet?

I just can't get it. So does that mean that if you have been accepted without funding, you are basically on a waiting list and your admission is not confirmed yet?

Accepted but on a waiting list for funding. But for those of us who aren't independently wealthy, that's really not any better than just being on a waiting list. From what I understand, two other people are in the same situation I am and two people have been offered spots with full funding.