What makes sense?

mosquito0016

Sorry to post another topic with a questions as its title. I have two offers on the table, and I'm unclear which is the better option.

OPTION 1:

- Very prestigious school, top in my area of study, couldn't get in better as far as prestige

- Semi-compatible with faculty. To tell the truth, I'm not feeling super excited about any of them, but I will visit soon and maybe this will change.

- Lovely, super ideal area

- Small funding package, no fellowship first two years, probably will have to work a lot (TAships, Readerships)

OPTION 2:

- Top 10 school, well admired for my field, but can't touch the first for prestige

- Somewhat/moderately more compatible with faculty interests, though I'm still not super attached to any of them

- Nice area, but not as nice as option 1

- Very nice funding package, with potential to make it even better with university-wide fellowship

Basically the question comes down to prestige vs funding, with a little bit of tug on the compatibility end. Is option 1 worth it?

I would take option 2 unless you are sure you can live off the funding package of option 1

I'm going through a similar dilemma where one of the schools is in an awesome place and has awesome grad students while the other school is still in a nice/but expensive and not as fun place but I feel will give me a better career opportunity. Luckily funding is good at either school but I have to decide between short term place and long term opportunity... its not as easy as it sounds :(

take funding. the more (financial) support you have, the less you will worry about surviving and the faster you will finish your degree.

how much would it suck to be trying to study for your comprehensive exams while freaking out that you may not be able to make rent that month? or being so bogged down in teaching that you don't have time/energy to focus on your own work?

these are very serious question, because undoubtedly you will have to deal with these scenarios (unless you are independently wealthy and/or have someone who can bail you out. but if you were/did you probably wouldn't be asking the question to begin with).

either way, hope it goes well for you!

You could always try to bargain for a better offer at option 1. If that doesn't work out, do some serious budgeting. There's no point going to a prestigious school if you're under too much financial strain and can't give it your best, especially if you have your eyes on an academic career. An excellent thesis at a good university is better than a good thesis at an excellent university.. or so I was told.

sD.

I just had a conversation with one of my UG profs about this, so, passing on the advice:

It is important to look at your job prospects from either school, and ask them what they do to help you prepare for the job market. She had great funding at an Ivy, but ended up not getting a tenure track job for a long time in part because she never really received any help from her advisors. Academia is a jungle - you need a program that goes out of its way to help your prospects after graduation. Ask where recent graduates have been hired. Prestige does not always mean the program is very supportive. On the other hand, it would obviously be foolish to take more money in the short-term if it hurts your financial prospects later. The cost of living in either area will also obviously make a difference... a small stipend in Virginia beats a huge stipend in Manhattan.

More advice from the same prof - keep in mind that being a TA or (especially) an RA can be an asset in the job market. Obviously you do not want to be worrying about bills and you need to be able to have a reasonable standard of living. However, if you want to be a professor, being a TA is not a waste of time.

Also - absolutely agree with rising star. Sometimes visiting makes all the difference.

take funding. the more (financial) support you have, the less you will worry about surviving and the faster you will finish your degree.

how much would it suck to be trying to study for your comprehensive exams while freaking out that you may not be able to make rent that month? or being so bogged down in teaching that you don't have time/energy to focus on your own work?

these are very serious question, because undoubtedly you will have to deal with these scenarios (unless you are independently wealthy and/or have someone who can bail you out. but if you were/did you probably wouldn't be asking the question to begin with).

either way, hope it goes well for you!

Totally agree. Worrying about meeting financial obligations could plagued your level of focus a lot. that is, if you yourself are your only financial support.