School Psychology-PhD Can I get in?

SB24

I'm really worried about getting into a PhD program in school psychology. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.55, a major GPA of 3.65, really low GRE scores (below average). I was a research clinician for a summer program for children with autism- I have continued to work at the program as a research assistant for the Fall semester. I have also been on a research team for the last year. I was TA for a philosophy course (teaching experience). I worked at a community center for one summer, and I was a freshman mentor. I am also in Psi Chi. 

I have been in contact with all the professors of interest and spoken to them about their research.

Will my GRE automatically put me out of the running?

I have applied to: The University of Utah (top choice), The University of Virgina, The University of Georgia, The University at Buffalo, and Michigan State University.

Does anyone know my chances of getting into any of these schools?

Hi!

Your experience is very important, so it’s good that you have that. I would check all the school you’re applying to - most of them say what the average GRE scores are for the people they accept. Make sure your letters of recommendation are STRONG and you statements are well worded and organized. I think you have a good shot. I wish you luck!

I’m currently applying as well! I’m applying to UGA and MSU like you. I’m also applying to Southern Mississippi, Oregon, Houston, and Indiana University - Bloomington. 

8 hours ago, SchoolPsychApplicant said:

Hi!

Your experience is very important, so it’s good that you have that. I would check all the school you’re applying to - most of them say what the average GRE scores are for the people they accept. Make sure your letters of recommendation are STRONG and you statements are well worded and organized. I think you have a good shot. I wish you luck!

I’m currently applying as well! I’m applying to UGA and MSU like you. I’m also applying to Southern Mississippi, Oregon, Houston, and Indiana University - Bloomington. 

Thank you!

I'm just a little worried because Utah (which is where I really want to go) or UGA, doesn't have anywhere what the average GRE scores are. I'm just hoping my experience will be enough!

Good luck to you! I hope you get in!!!

27 minutes ago, SB24 said:

Thank you!

I'm just a little worried because Utah (which is where I really want to go) or UGA, doesn't have anywhere what the average GRE scores are. I'm just hoping my experience will be enough!

Good luck to you! I hope you get in!!!

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, who are you applying to at UGA?

@SchoolPsychApplicantI've applied to quite a few haha. Besides Utah and Virginia I did:

1. University of Wisconsin-Madison 2. University of Tennessee-Knoxville 3. Northeastern University 4. University of Maryland 5. Northern Illinois University 6. Syracuse University 7. University of South Carolina 8. Loyola University Chicago 9. Ohio State University

What about you?

6 minutes ago, SchoolPsychApplicant said:

What other places are you applying to?

That is awesome! Thank you! Good luck to you too! I hope we both get in! Who are you looking to work with at UTAH and at Virginia? You don't happen to know if Utah has GRE cutt off scores do you? 

2 minutes ago, SB24 said:

Me too!! I have also looked at Dr. Volker at MSU, his research is in assessment for children with ASD. Are you interested in Autism Spectrum Disorder Research? If so, that is awesome! and also what I want to do. I do not believe I have any shot at MSU because it is extremely difficult to get into, but I really hope you get in! You'll have to keep me posted!

Yes it is, actually! I spoke to Dr. Rispoli yesterday, and I'm excited to see what happens. Does anyone know the average amount of applicants these programs get every year?

@SB24I'm looking to work with Dr. Lyons at Virginia and either Dr. Fischer or Dr. Davis at Utah! Unfortunately, no I don't know about GRE scores for Utah :( Their website doesn't seem to have as much information as the other programs I've applied to. However, I talked to Dr. Davis on the phone to ask a question about their program and he told me that they really like applicants with research and leadership experience, so I'd think they'd really like your experiences!

It may not be the most helpful info but....I am currently a first year at UB, but I am in the MA program. The PhD requirements are more strict than MA, but I also did not have a good GRE score. I actually called the department before applying to express my concern. I was told that they look at your application holistically and that they do not weigh one component more than others. Based on that, I would say that your experiences are very valuable and should be the highlight of your application. Additionally, at UB if you do not get into the PhD but you do get into the MA program, you can reapply for the PhD, I believe after your second year. You have a better chance of getting in then and you can still complete the PhD in the same amount of time that you would have normally.  

18 hours ago, al-reding said:

It may not be the most helpful info but....I am currently a first year at UB, but I am in the MA program. The PhD requirements are more strict than MA, but I also did not have a good GRE score. I actually called the department before applying to express my concern. I was told that they look at your application holistically and that they do not weigh one component more than others. Based on that, I would say that your experiences are very valuable and should be the highlight of your application. Additionally, at UB if you do not get into the PhD but you do get into the MA program, you can reapply for the PhD, I believe after your second year. You have a better chance of getting in then and you can still complete the PhD in the same amount of time that you would have normally.  

Thank you so much! Yes your advice is very helpful! That actually was what I was told to do by some of my professors who went to UB. Do you think I should submit an application for both the PhD and the MA?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how it works at UB. I would call and ask if you do need to apply for both. I know at some schools that if you only apply for the PhD program and do not get in, but you are a good candidate for the MA program then they grant you acceptance at the MA level. Not sure if this applies at UB as well though! All of the professors and secretaries in the department are really down to earth and helpful, don't hesitate to call them. It will show that you are interested and serious about their program!