December 1st

derHistoriker

On 12/15/2017 at 7:39 AM, khigh said:

My interests lie in the role of the Dutch in the Mediterranean.  I specifically want to look at Dutch-Papal State relationships during the Anglo-Dutch Wars. I've also talked to Dr. Reyerson. She's a very nice person and I've been able to sit in some consortium talks with her.  I chose Dr. Reyerson and Dr. Shank. Neither are specifically in my research area, but both have said that they would be interested in the topic and Shank has some connections in Utrecht that would be helpful. I've talked to Dr. Louthan a few times, but our areas don't overlap as much.  The person that got me interested in my field and excited about grad school retired- Dr. Tracy. 

I thought Reyerson was turning 73 or so. Is she still taking students? If you want to primarily work with Shank on early modern Dutch history, who was trained as an intellectual historian of (early) modern science in France, and to a less extent, Italy and Germany (I doubt he could read Dutch),  you should probably add a natural philosophical aspect to your proposal or choose a related topic (e.g. Huygens, Gravesande, Boerhaave, Musschenbroek, and Spinoza).

7 hours ago, VAZ said:

I thought Reyerson was turning 73 or so. Is she still taking students? If you want to primarily work with Shank on early modern Dutch history, who was trained as an intellectual historian of (early) modern science in France, and to a less extent, Italy and Germany (I doubt he could read Dutch),  you should probably add a natural philosophical aspect to your proposal or choose a related topic (e.g. Huygens, Gravesande, Boerhaave, Musschenbroek, and Spinoza).

She told me she was when I went in and talked to her, just not as many as she has in the past. I’m now looking at Louthan because of the Church aspect, too. But, Shank said that he doesn’t know Dutch, but that he does have connections in the Netherlands and I could pull in someone from the German, Scandinavian, Dutch Department. Tracy has also said that while he cannot act in any official capacity because he retired, that he is more than happy to consult.

My undergrad advisor was a student of Tracy and Reyerson. Reyerson was his wife’s primary advisor and has recently talked to them on the phone about me.