Resume Details for LOR Writers?

mrs12

Hey! I have a general question. When someone asks for your resume because they're writing LOR's for you, either because of grad school or a scholarship or something of the like, do you tend to send them your official resume? By that I mean, I have several versions of my resume depending on what sort of topic/program I'm applying to. I have a one page resume focused on my academics, a one page resume focused on my language work, and a one page resume that's more general. But I also have a resume that's about three pages that has everything you'd want to include on a resume as far as jobs/awards/internships and the like, which I use as my over-arching reference.

I'm just curious... When someone asks for your resume in that context, should you give them more information, or keep to the short/formal version you're apt to include in said application?

I'd send the longer one. Three pages isn't that long, really. Your writer wants to know more about you and your strengths. They may or may not include that information in their letter, but it'll help them put what they know about you in a broader context. Give them the context and let them choose what to do with it. 

You should send them the same version as the one you've submitting for the grad school or scholarship that they are writing a LOR for. If there isn't a resume requirement for the application, send them the version that you would send if there were one.

(Although if your full version resume is only 3 pages, there's no need to cut it down to only 1 page for grad school apps unless you were required to do so).