publications -- no original research articles

hl348

Hi guys,

I am applying for Ph.D. programs in Anthropology (Columbia, Brown, Upenn, Yale, etc) this year and have a question about publications. I have an MA.

I do not have articles published in peer-reviewed journals. Instead, I have a couple of technical reports submitted to a federal agency and a book review for a peer-reviewed journal. I have five other publications that are on the way, not yet published (a combination of book reviews and technical reports). My questions are;

1) How normal is it for anthropology applicants (with MA) to have original research article publications at the time of applying? 

2) How competitive do you think my current publication status is? I am putting all the five publications that are not published yet in the CV, and will indicate them as either forthcoming or in progress. 

Thank you in advance!

You're fine. Honestly, I think it's rare for the majority of Master's students to have publications. A MA is only 1 year long -- that's not a lot of time to get something published, or even in the process of being published. And very few people conduct original research in their BA/BSc. If you have five things in the works, you're way ahead of the game.

Unless I'm totally off base, PhD admissions are really just looking for solid research experience, with some knowledge dissemination on the side - that you've conducted (mostly) independent research, wrote SOMETHING on it that was accepted by your university standards, and presented it at a conference or two. A few technical or internal reports never hurt, or TA/teaching experience. Just speak knowledgeably about your research in your SoP.

Edited by timetobegin

Thank you for your response, Timetobegin. It really helps (and is also relieving!)! 

Also, at this point (having a few days left till the deadlines), I can't do anything about it. I guess I will just submit whatever I have done so far, be liberated and not worry about anything until I hear back from the schools. haha.. Thanks so muchagain!