What are my chances?

LeraK

1 hour ago, lordtiandao said:

How do the numbers look if we break it down into areas of focus? It seems that East Asian history has a slightly better placement rate than European and American history. Within East Asian history, I've been told by a professor that Japanese history has the highest, followed by Chinese history. Any truth to this?

It depends on what you do. There's no market right now for American diplomatic history or American political history, at least done in the traditional ways. If you jump on one of today's trends, you've a way better chance.

It's tough to paint with broad strokes, just because it varies so much by what individuals bring to the table.

Which would you say are the hottest trends right now (meaning topics/approaches rather than specific periods)? Is it material culture, environmental history of the digital bent (GIS and stuff), "global" history/mobility studies? 

Edited by Imenol

14 minutes ago, Imenol said:

Which would you say are the hottest trends right now (meaning topics/approaches rather than specific periods)? Is it material culture, environmental history of the digital bent (GIS and stuff), "global" history/mobility studies? 

Gender has been very popular for the last twenty or so years in the US (Europe remains a bit different), though there are inclinations that the "gender trend" is starting to recede. Digital history with GIS and "stuff" (as you put it so well!) is either in retreat or almost in retreat. Global approaches are in vogue; out of a cohort of 11, I'm one of two Europeanists and I'm not a strict Europeanist at that. Colonial history from the perspective of the colonized is becoming important.

In terms of what's in decline, economic and diplomatic histories have taken big hits. Intellectual history is not popular in its traditional forms, though new approaches show promise.

@VAZ posted a great infographic while I was typing this response.

Edited by psstein