Interview Questions

For those of you who have gone through the interview process, what are some interview questions that you wish you would have prepared for, but didn’t? I’m not interested in the generic questions because I’ve begun preparing for those. Where do you think you could have improved your interview? It would be so helpful to hear what others didn’t feel so prepared for.

My interviews so far will be for counseling psychology PhD programs.

thank you all!

One person asked me where I get inspiration for my research ideas from. It wasn't that tough of a question, but definitely one that I was unprepared for!

I was also asked why I applied to the kinds of programs that I applied for (basic science/very experimental), given my long-term research and career goals, which are very applied in nature. At first glance there is definitely what appears to be a total mismatch between what I eventually want to do and what I would be trained to do in my program. I luckily had a very clear idea in mind of what exactly I wanted my career trajectory to be and what skills I wanted to learn in graduate school, which allowed me to give a decent answer to the question.