UT Austin Middle Eastern Studies

I only found out by checking my status on the website, the spot where it used to say "your application has been forwarded to the graduate committee for review..."  I still haven't gotten an email or letter (I was rejected).

Thanks for responding, gollux. My status still has that same message. I haven't received an acceptance email, nor the website rejection. I have no idea what's going on.   :blink:

Hmm, to the MA History, 740 V, 1.5 Arabic person: would you mind commenting here or anonymously on the results page what your email said? Also, if you remember, when did your status change in relation to the email? 

Edited by MiddleEastNerd

Thanks, MiddleEastNerd! I got some good news the next day, so it worked out. I'm interested in Turkish, so I probably shouldn't have applied there to begin with.

I hope it works out for you! Did you have a language proficiency interview at UT? I had one a week or so before I was rejected (wherein they learned that my Arabic sucks), but I don't know whether it was a short-list situation or a "you sound like you might suck but let's check" situation, or something every applicant went through.

At this point I think you're well within safe territory to just email the department and ask.

No proficiency interview, nothing. I wonder if that should make me more concerned. *I* believe I'm a strong candidate and *I* think it would be a fantastic fit. But who knows what the adcomm's vision of the newest cohort should look like? I think I will call tomorrow and see "if all the decisions have been made". I bugged the grad coordinator a bit pre-deadline and have been trying to show a less hyper side since then.  

I do think I could be shortlisted. My application and experience is a bit unusual; they could be trying to verify it.

Well, congrats on the good news! Here's hoping to get some myself tomorrow (or at least something I can work with).

Edited by MiddleEastNerd

No proficiency interview, nothing. I wonder if that should make me more concerned. *I* believe I'm a strong candidate and *I* think it would be a fantastic fit. But who knows what the adcomm's vision of the newest cohort should look like? I think I will call tomorrow and see "if all the decisions have been made". I bugged the grad advisor a bit pre-deadline and have been trying to show a less hyper side since then.

I do think I could be shortlisted. My application and experience is a bit unusual; they could be trying to verify it.

Well, congrats on the good news! Here's hoping to get some myself tomorrow (or at least something I can work with).

I think that trying to decipher the meanings behind the few scraps they give you throughout the process only leads to madness. Through their lens I doubt that I was a strong candidate, so I don't think the proficiency interview indicated elevated status on my part.

Go for it and good luck!

Thanks for responding, gollux. My status still has that same message. I haven't received an acceptance email, nor the website rejection. I have no idea what's going on.   :blink:

Hmm, to the MA History, 740 V, 1.5 Arabic person: would you mind commenting here or anonymously on the results page what your email said? Also, if you remember, when did your status change in relation to the email? 

Hey, that's me. I checked the status a couple of days after I received my acceptance, and it still said its under review. I haven't checked it since.

My email basically said, congratuations, you've been admitted, we'll send out a hard copy. I didn't get funding or a FLAS fellowship, so its highly unlikely that I will be attending. Best of luck.

I was contacted by Kimberly Dahl on February 3 to schedule a oral proficiency interview which was conducted the next week. I was absolutely delighted to receive an acceptance email from her on February 18. I never checked my application until reading these posts (because they contacted me so early!) and the system is currently down. About a week after the admission notification I got an email notification saying that I am an alternate for the FLAS. I followed up and Kimberly replied that decisions on other fellowships and funding would come in a week or two, which is any day now! I haven't heard further news. This was my first accept. So I was very happy. Good luck to all of you.

I was contacted by Kimberly Dahl on February 3 to schedule a oral proficiency interview which was conducted the next week. I was absolutely delighted to receive an acceptance email from her on February 18. I never checked my application until reading these posts (because they contacted me so early!) and the system is currently down. About a week after the admission notification I got an email notification saying that I am an alternate for the FLAS. I followed up and Kimberly replied that decisions on other fellowships and funding would come in a week or two, which is any day now! I haven't heard further news. This was my first accept. So I was very happy. Good luck to all of you.

Jaydee,

What kind of language training do you have already?

I am finishing my third year of Modern Standard Arabic classes at a university (as a non-degree seeking graduate student). Thus, oral proficiency is my weakest suit! Nonetheless, I prepared and felt the interview went pretty well. I consider myself somewhere in the intermediate spectrum and self identified as such on my application. CMES asks students to be at the Advanced level so this was a concern for me. I was so happy to be accepted. I am holding out hope for funding and am still waiting for five decisions!