Transfer and Statement

Franzkafka

Are you transferring from another graduate program in Philosophy? If so, is it because your advisor received a job offer from that university? Generally for this to happen, your advisor would have to request you to be moved with them as part of their compensation package.

If not, are you unhappy at your current institution? If you're unhappy, the grad committee might be hesitant because they'll fear you may be unhappy at this current institution as well.

Admission committees are generally hesitant to accept "transfer" students because they don't want to risk you trying to transfer to another program if they don't fit your needs. As a result, it isn't a matter of just having a stronger application than others.  You'll need to make a very strong case and not just because a program is "better".

I do know of a couple of cases where a student has "moved up" from one philosophy PhD program to a higher ranked one, although it is extremely uncommon and requires an exceptional applicant, I think. Your application will probably be held to a higher standard than someone applying from their BA or terminal MA and it will be very important to explain why the new program better suits your needs than they current one. Philosophy is a small world though, so it would be best not to bash your current program but rather frame your move in terms of what the new program offers you that the current one doesn't.

Also, a "transfer" here is probably something of a misnomer. If you are accepted, you will probably have to start back from square one. At most you may be able to get credit for a couple classes taken at your previous institution.

I know a few people who did this. From what I remember, they stated (plausible) fit-related reasons for transferring in their statements of purpose. E.g. they became interested in moral psychology while in the program, and there was nobody there sufficiently knowledgeable in that area to supervise them adequately.